Friday, February 04, 2011

My Payback for Wanting Snow Days?

It has been 48 hours since I have had running water in my house.  48 HOURS!  Two days!! Two days with no shower, no flushing toilets, not being able to clean dishes.  There's not a single clean cup in my house, the sinks are piled high with dirty dishes.  I am slowly starting to lose. my. mind.

Yesterday, I was able to get out of the house for a while.  Hubby drove us to town to grab a cooked meal (trying to avoid that because of the dish situation - not that it's really helping) and just to get some fresh air.  The roads were still pretty bad, and I had a lot of anxiety and panic.

I've realized that I have a real fear of riding in a car - or any vehicle - in the snow/ ice.  My palms get sweaty.  My breathing gets heavy.  I get very close to a panic attack.  Yesterday, I just had to suck it up - because I needed to get out of the house.

I managed to clean my own pipes while I was out - thank goodness.  Imagine going 2 days without being able to do that!  Without going into detail - well because, EWW!! - I felt so much lighter on the drive home.  I'm sure you don't care to hear about it..but there's a reason I'm sharing this.  I wasn't just imagining being lighter - because when I stepped on the scale this morning...just for a peek... I weighed 119.2.  That's a -0.4 difference from Wednesday's weigh-in...AND I ate a burger and fries for lunch yesterday.  I don't feel bad about it, either.  After my crappy birthday and the days that followed - I thought I would "treat" myself to a burger and fries.  Well, it wasn't much of a treat, because I didn't enjoy it, my stomach DID NOT enjoy it... guess my body is adjusting, and it does not appreciate that kind of junk.  I should have gone with the chicken salad - my first choice.

To make matters worse...yes, they get worse.  I got a phone call yesterday from a dear friend wanting to help out with the pipe situation.  Her husband has a Super Heater that would help heat under the house to hopefully thaw the pipes.  He offered to bring the heater to us - and help us finally have water.  I was so happy.  That was, until I got a phone call that he had been in a wreck trying to get to our house.

I wish I could express the hurt, guilt, anger, and sadness that rushed through my body when I got to the scene of the accident.  My friends husband wasn't harmed - but the same could NOT be said for his truck.  He hit a nasty patch of ice and snow and went straight off the road into a tree.  This amazing man was on his way to HELP us.  He didn't have to.  He wanted to.  What was his repayment for such an awesome good deed?  A wreck.  A smashed truck. 

For two hours, Hubby, myself, and the aid of a stranger - THANK YOU WHOEVER YOU WERE - we managed to get the truck out of the snow and ice, get the mangled tire fixed, and get him back on the road to where he could at least drive to a motel for the night.

Despite the constant reassurance from my friend that accidents happen, and everything was going to be OK with her husband - I cried myself to sleep last night.  I don't think it was just the wreck that made the tears come.  It was the icing on the cake.  I really needed the cry - to let out the frustration I've been feeling the past couple of days.  It started out with painful, small tears that I tried to wipe away as quick as they came...then I realized that I wasn't getting rid of them that easy...and so then came the sobs.  Deep, snotty, blubbering sobs. 

I'm not sure how long it lasted because, well, I feel asleep.  I do know that I woke up this morning feeling a little better.  No, there still isn't water coming out of our pipes - but we now have the heater that my dear friend's husband was trying to deliver.  Hubby has been outside for almost an hour now, with the heater, trying to get the pipes thawed.  We haven't had much luck, so far... but I'm not losing hope.  We HAVE to get our water back today.  I can't bear to think that the trip my friend's husband tried to make would have been for nothing.  I can't bear to go another day without working out.  I owe that to myself, and my dear friend... because that's one of the reasons she asked her husband to come help me.

As I'm typing this - I just heard the glorious, amazing sound of WATER!!! Yes, folks, we now have our water back.  Thank you Cathy!!  Thank you John!!  This would not have happened without you both...you have no idea how grateful we are for your kindness.

Till next time.  ;)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful bunch of friends you have. I'm so glad to hear that you've got water again. I had been going stir-crazy here (today was the first I'd been out of the house since MONDAY). But at least I had running water.

    Maybe now you can get back to some sense of "normal."

    Colleen
    Goodbye, Fat Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!