Friday, April 22, 2011

The Kindergarten Work-Out

So, you've been looking for a work out that will get you fast results, huh?  You want to feel the burn?  You want to feel completely drained of all energy when you're finished?  You want to see that scale sliding down each week? 

Well, have I got the work out plan for YOU!  Here's what you need to do....

Find a Kindergarten classroom - and work in there every day.

That's it.  It's really that simple.

What does the work-out entail?  Well, let me tell you....
  • You get 5 hours of constantly being on your feet. 
  • You get small amounts of time to sit down, but have to stand back up about 6 times in a 10 minute period 
  • You walk backwards down long hallways at least 3 times a day
  • You walk around the room repeating yourself over and over and over and....well you get the point.
  • You hand out papers, you pick up papers
  • You're constantly bending down to 5 year old level so that you can look them in the eyes to talk to them
  • You are abruptly standing back up because it's too tiring to argue with 5 year olds
Believe me, it doesn't sound like much - but at the end of the day, you'll feel like you've run a marathon!!

Since I've been in Kindergarten, I've been EXHAUSTED!!  No work-out has ever compared to what I feel like when I come home each day.  I'm enjoying myself - don't get me wrong about that - but LORDY do those lil ones take it out of me each day.

It really made me start thinking about my finally getting over my plateau.  Could it be that this placement was what I needed to kiss 214.6lbs goodbye forever??

I'm on my feet more.  I'm averaging about 8500 steps a day - between the hours of 7am and 3pm.  The walking backwards part is no joke - you'd be amazed at how many muscles you're using that you don't normally use walking the normal way....but you can't take your eyes off them for a minute!

Plus there's the small amount of time available to eat...that's another bonus.  I get 1 hour of planning time each day and a 30 minute lunch break - when I don't have duty.  That sounds like a lot...but when you throw in meetings, planning, and walking backwards down the hallway to take the kiddos to specials and then on to lunch - you've cut about 20 minutes off of that time.

Almost every day since I've been in this placement, I've passed out on the couch before 8pm. 

If you're one of those people that think that teachers have an easy job - then, please, do me a favor and go and sub in a kindergarten class for a couple of days.  Not just one - they'll be adorable little angels for just one day.... it has to be more than that.  Then....THEN you'll see.

Next week, I get to teach the adorable little cherubs for the whole week alone.  Yep, it's my solo week.  If I thought I've been tired up to this point, I can only imagine what I'm going to feel like next weekend.

I have to take this moment to say that Kindergarten teachers are SUPER HEROES!!  I always thought I was tough - could take on just about anything....but I've met my match.  And they are called Kindergartners!!  My super teaching powers just don't have that much of an effect on them....Kindergarten teachers have super duper powers that mere mortals - like myself - do not possess.

Again, I'm loving every moment of my time with the kindergartners - but I'm a realist.  I was not born with the super duper powers - and I just don't think I will ever reach the point of earning them. 

I am, however, going to reap the benefits that have been coming my way with my weight loss.  I haven't really had to go to the gym - because the classroom is my gym.  My students are my weights.  My working hours are my cardio.

If you really want a work-out that you'll enjoy - and will drain every ounce of your energy....become a kindergarten teacher!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!!! It is SO true! All of it!!! Preschool, too. I think I sat in a chair for a total of 10 minutes today!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!