Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Heading Off to Shrinkvivor Island

SHRINKVIVOR CHALLENGE

OK, so I'm not actually going anywhere.  No deserted islands, no ocean-front camp site, no cameras following my every move, no rationed portions of rice....although rationed rice would probably be a huge benefit.

The day has finally arrived.  It's probably the closest I'll ever get to being a part of a reality show.  Today marks the kick off of the Shrinkvivor Challenge hosted by The Sisterhood

Each week, I will be competing with a team to lose weight, and trying not to get voted off by doing challenges.  This is very nerve wracking to me, because...well.... I don't like to lose, and I especially don't like being voted off of anything. 

I am on the Bronze team with six other ladies.  Just like the real Survivor, I don't know these women.  I don't think I've even corresponded with any of them before all of this.  We are complete strangers coming together to do what we can.

We vote each week to cast off a team member.  This part will be hard for me.  The only way this is avoided is by a) my team winning the immunity idol or b) someone not checking in one week - which automatically gets that person disqualified from the competition.

If I get voted off, I immediately go to Exile Island, which is where the castoffs get a chance to form their own tribe and show the original tribes what they missed out on. 

As a part of the challenge, I have to take pictures of my beginning and ending weight.... but I figure, it would be a good idea to take a picture each week of my weight... you know, to hold myself accountable and all that.

So, I'm not proud to show this picture... but I know that this is day 1 and that it's up to me to make this number change significantly - go down...that's the only significant change I want.






I will be back to doing my weigh-in on Wednesday.  Each week, I will post the updated picture.  I will also be keeping a running record on the Challenges Page of the blog.

The fitness challenge each week - that has the potential of getting my team the Immunity Idol - is to record the number of minutes of exercise completed.  Actual exercise is counted - walking, jogging, cardio, strength training, etc.  Walking from the car to the building, walking around the school, and hauling groceries doesn't count... dang it!!

The only way that I have a real shot at being a competitor -compared to some of the mighty athletes participating - is to walk/jog/run every day for at least 45 minutes.  That would give me a nice amount of fitness minutes each week.....and that's not even thinking about the amount of calories I'll burn.  I'll be using my Running Log to keep track of the minutes and miles each week.

I really hope that this is the swift kick up the rear that I've been needing for a while.  I've mentally told myself that being on the pill had a lot to do with my weight gain.  Now the pill is gone.  If I'm right, then I should be able to do well in this challenge.  Even if the pill wasn't the blame - I've told myself it was...and it's mind over matter... I want to prove myself right, right?

You want to know something funny?  I don't even know what the prizes are for this challenge.  I don't even care, really.  It's not about what I can win - but what I can lose.  I need motivation.  I need support.  I need victory.  This challenge has the potential of giving this all to me - and that will be what I win, if I can pull it off.

So, here goes.  Wish me luck.  Having your support is a big deal for me - I know I've let you down countless times over these past few months... but I have a real chance of redeeming myself here. 

Let the Shrinking Begin!!

Till next time. ;)

Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo, kick some tail :0) Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck for the challenge! Sounds like you have set some good goals for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Joanna......

    Bonnie (Team Blue)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Tribe Fuschia! Good luck love! This will be a lot of fun, I just know it! I know we can do this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great challenge!!!!! You can do it!! I just know it, I do, I do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck! Sounds like you're n the right track already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm recommenting since I didn't see my first one!

    Good luck Joanna...even though we aren't on the same tribes I know you will do a great job! I'll be checking on you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!