Thursday, September 22, 2011

You Want Me to Get Rid of What?

If you have children, then you know that they can be the cause of your most darkest of fears, trigger of frustration, and purist bundles of joy and happiness.

Kids, no matter what the age, have the power to say the one thing that can melt your heart or cause your head to explode.  It's a secret power....a magical power, maybe.  Whatever the situation, they hold the ability to make it the most wonderful moment of your life....or can leave you scratching your head and wondering "where did this child come from?"

I feel that I have been truly blessed in the kid department.  All three children are super smart, loving, caring, and independent.  Yes, there are times when they frustrate me.  Times when I want to lock them in a room together to hash out their differences - because I can't take one more "Mom, tell him to stop..." or "Mom, she won't leave me alone"... but at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

Peanut has entered in to the age where I'm kept at a safe distance.  She wants time to herself.  She wants to go out with friends.  Even though she's spent all day long at school with her friends, she'd rather spend the evening talking to them on the phone or Internet than spend much time with me.  I try to respect that independence the best that I can - and it pays off during those evenings when she'd rather curl up on the couch with me and watch a movie.

Butter has definitely had his troubles - but he's pulling through them.  Despite everything he's been through, he still knows that the key to my heart is his smile...and no matter what he's ever said or done to me, I love him with all my heart. 

Now, my Jelly....she's quite the funny character.  She's a 14 year old child in a 3 year old body.  I kid you not.  She demands independence.  She demands that her clothes match, her hair is fixed a certain way, and that she get use of my phone when family calls.  She walks around with the phone talking to my mom or Butter or her cousins as though she was Peanut....apparently Peanut has been quite the influence.

She wants to listen to Lada Gaga, Katy Perry or Justin Bieber on the radio - and knows all of the words to several of their songs.  In fact, I don't think she knows the words to many nursery rhymes - but ask her to give you the chorus of Poker Face, she'll nail it every time.  She also enjoys watching TV shows like America's Got Talent, Hell's Kitchen, and Ghost Hunters.  Oh, don't mention Ghost Hunters around that child...she'll drive you nuts asking if she can watch it.  She knows it was on last night and that I DVR it, and I guarantee I know what today's car ride conversation is going to be about....all the way home.

Jelly doesn't throw tantrums - she negotiates.  If I tell her she can't have something or do something, she will try to haggle me. 

Every day at dinner time, I kid you not,  you're going to hear this conversation:

Jelly:  I don't want dinner.

Me:  OK, but you don't get anything else if you don't eat dinner.

Jelly:  How about I eat 3 bites?  Can I have something else then?

Me:  No.  If you have room to think about eating something else, you can eat all of your dinner.

Jelly:  If I eat all of my dinner, I won't have room....so how about 3 bites?

Me:  How about you eat 10 bites?  10 big bites?

Jelly:  How about 4?

Me:  How about 7?

Jelly: How about 5? And I'll eat all of my green beans (or whatever veg we're eating).

I have to hand it to her, the kid has talent.  She negotiates her way through everything.  It's amusing to me - and it also reminds me that it's number practice....so I'm OK with it.

Jelly also still acts like a 3 year old...occasionally.  She gets whiny when she's tired.  She wants to curl up with me on the couch or tries to sleep in my bed....negotiations are often used for that scenario, too.  She loves going to preschool, and tells me all about her day in our car ride home.  She also enjoys going to the park, watching the occasional cartoon, and dragging every toy she owns out into the living room.

Last night, she had one of the most amazing 3 year old moments I've ever seen....and she's been 3 for 9 months. 

She was laying next to me on the couch watching TV.  The light in the living room was dim - preparing for her for bed time.  I notice that every few seconds, she smacks the couch.  I don't really pay much attention, but then the hits get a little more intense.  She starts pushing at the couch pillow.  I can feel that she's getting frustrated...and before I can say anything, she's swinging and hitting the couch yelling "Stop it!! Go away!! I'm not playing right now!!"  I ask her what's wrong....

Jelly:  Mom, tell it to stop.  I don't want to play anymore, I'm tired.

Me (completely puzzled):  Tell who to stop?  What are you talking about?

Jelly:  It won't leave me alone.  I'm trying to watch TV, and it keeps touching me....I want you to tell it to go away.

Me (a little concerned):  What, baby?  You want me tell what to go away?

Jelly:  My shadow!!  It won't stop touching me.  It won't go away.  I don't want to play right now... Make it go away!!

Me:  Urm...honey, I can't make your shadow go away.  If you lay still, though, it won't bother you.

Jelly tests out my suggestion....and of course has to move her arm around.

Jelly:  It's still there!!!  

Me:  It's not going to go away, your shadow is always with you....just lay still and it won't move either.

Jelly again tests the suggestion - this time keeping still.

Jelly:  OK.  (Looking at the back of the couch)  You better stay still and leave me alone.

So, it appears, that my 3 year old is still a 3 year old regardless of how much she acts like a teenager.  I tried so hard not to laugh - but how can you not with something as precious as that?  Of course, Jelly wasn't amused with my hysterical laughter.

Small moments like these make me realize that I'm so blessed.  I have fantastic children - and no matter how tired, cranky, frustrated, or upset I am....my kids always know how to put a smile on my face. 

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like our 3 year olds are very similar! Her big thing right now is artwork - she loves to draw and color. And each masterpiece is created with the express intent of giving it away as a gift to someone who is special to her. She likes to put them in something for the presentation and after she scarfed up all my envelopes, she's moved on to sandwich baggies. Yesterday when putting away her laundry I found (literally) 35 little sandwich baggies with pictures inside each one in her dresser drawer. I asked her why she had so many in there. Her response was, "Just in case I get the urge to give someone a gift. Now that I have these, I'm prepared." The logic on this kid astounds me!

    Sounds like you have some very sweet kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to run across your blog! Always can use a little more inspiration from people in similar boats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna, that's adorable. Thanks for making me smile. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO at Jelly's shadow story!! Too funny!

    I'm in the same boat as Colleen. Tom-Tom LOVES to draw pictures and paint. He loves to give his artwork away too.

    I love reading your updates on the kids especially Jelly! :D

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!