Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sometimes Change Isn't Good

You're all going to have to forgive me this morning.  I'm exhausted.  I'm running on 4 hours of sleep, and anything less than 6 will have me saying who knows what.  I can pretty much guarantee that there will be rambling, nonsense, and random blobs of words strung together in order to somehow come up with a blog post.

I've also only had one cup of coffee.  



You've been warned.

The reason I'm so tired - and didn't sleep much last night - is because I was out until past 10pm at the mock jury thingy I told you all about yesterday.  See, there I go...thingy?  I'm sure there's a much better word to describe it.

Despite how long we were there....it was a lot of fun. 

Of course, I can't share anything about the case we heard... because the litigants were not actors, they were real people with a real case pending in court.  Not sure if it's really pending in court, yet, but you'll get the statement if you've ever watched People's Court.  My attempt at tired humor.  Hey, sue me!! You're getting what you pay for this morning.

There were 10 of us on the "jury".  The attorney acted as the mediator, providing answers to questions.  He was very friendly - and it was impossible to tell which side of the case he was on.  He kept a middle perspective throughout the entire deliberations.  We discussed our thoughts, shared our opinions, answered a bunch of questions, and filled out TONS of forms.

All of the juicy stuff lasted a couple of hours, and the last hour was spent actually deliberating the outcome.  We were separated into two groups of 5.  I was the foreperson for our team.  The deliberations were intense - like being on a debate team.  I had a blast.  Will definitely do it again, if the chance presents it's self.

So, getting back to not having much sleep....

I woke up this morning, and did my usual routine.  Shower, coffee, sit at my computer, get on Facebook.

Lookie, lookie what do I see?  Facebook has once again changed all their crap around....and this tired woman is NOT happy about it.

I just don't get some companies.  They get the tiniest bit of competition - and all of a sudden, they have to change everything so that their product is as close to the competition as possible.

Facebook is the success is it because it is what it is.  A social network site for people to connect, share photos, stalk people, see what's going on with their friends and family....and stalk people.  I have privacy settings so I can control who can stalk me....and when I share what I'm doing, I know that everyone on my friends list can read it.  If I didn't want them to see it, I wouldn't post it.

But to Facebook's dismay, Google+ opens up.  It catches the attention of a lot of people... but not a single one of my friends decided that it was any better than Facebook, and so I haven't even looked at Google+ since I joined several weeks ago.  Trying to keep up with circles, and who sees my status message, etc. was just too much hassle for me.  Yes, I'm apparently just as lazy in cyber world as I am in real life.

However, Facebook apparently got the wrong memo.  They somehow believed that all of their members were jumping ship or something - so they've decided to completely redo everything....and make it like Google+.  I don't like it one bit!!

I remember thinking the same thing after the last round of Wal-Mart remodels.  Living in the Wal-Mart capital of of the world....we usually get first dibs on new store designs and stuff.  My local Wal-Mart went through a complete remodel.  They wanted to look fancier, more upscale.  Cause, you know, that's what Wal-Mart is all about.  They completely forgot that their goal mission is to provide low cost goods to people....they were obviously tired of that, and decided it would be so much better to turn into a department store instead.

What did they end up doing?  They turned their stores into blue Targets.

Target's their biggest competition - so for some reason, they thought the only way to compete was to turn their stores into blue versions of Target.  The biggest retailer in the world - the store that should be setting the standards for others.....fell pray to the fear that not every single person in the world was shopping in their stores, and the only way to make that happen would be to turn their stores into replicas of their competition.  Ridiculous!!

What has the new fancy look (and prices to go with it) done?  Made me realize that if I am going to pay department store prices for Wal-Mart stuff....I'm going to shop at the department stores.  Target has now become one of my favorite stores.  I'd rarely shopped at a Target before the remodels.  Wal-Mart actually pushed me to them with trying to be more like them.  Shame, shame.

It appears Facebook is on it's way to doing the same thing. 

If people aren't happy - they're going to jump ship.  I'm not friends with everyone on Facebook, but I do have several hundred friends....and by the status updates I'm reading this morning?  Many of them are not happy.

If something is broken?  Get it fixed.  If something isn't going so well.? Make it better.  If you're the biggest social networking site in the world, and have millions and millions of users that made the jump from MySpace because of all the hinky stuff they started doing to that site?  Take a hint - and don't do anything!!

I really don't like not being able to see the recent status updates.  I don't like Facebook deciding which status updates I'll be interested in - and only showing me those.  I don't like all of the groups I've been placed in because of the information I've got on my profile.  I don't like having to decide who can and can't see my status updates. 

I'll admit it - I get on Facebook to see what everyone else is up to.  Like, the last time they posted a status.  Not a week ago, or two days ago, or 3 hours ago.  There's no way to refresh.  Facebook now decides which status updates I want to see.  How the frick does Facebook know what I want to read about?  If it's any indicator on the status messages I've read this morning - Facebook is WRONG!! 

So, with my sleep deprivation comes the naggy old lady syndrome that causes me to complain about stuff like this.  I guess I'm done complaining for now - Must. Get. More. Coffee.

What do you think of the new Facebook stuff?  Has it made you think about checking out Google+ more?

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

1 comment:

  1. I hate the new facebook and am sporting it as my profile picture!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!