Thursday, September 08, 2011

Just a Spoonful of Motivation Makes the Numbers Go Down

Let me see a show of hands of those of you that want to lose weight, are trying to lose weight, but sometimes feel like it's a hopeless battle and that you just never seem to be able to get there?

OK, you can lower your hands now....and you realize that I can't actually see you raise your hand, right?

Even though I can't see how many of you actually raised your hands - I know that many...maybe even most of you...sometimes feel that way.

I know that I do.

The want is always there.  It has been for over 10 years.  I've wanted to lose weight, I've wanted to be fitter, I've wanted to be able to make healthy food choices - and for the most part eat a wholesome, healthy diet.

So, if I've wanted it so badly, why have I had such a hard time doing it?  Why have I made such good progress for a few months - only to start losing the momentum and falling back in to bad habits and old routines that usually contain zero exercise and very few healthy food choices?

I'll tell ya why....there's a special ingredient that has to be in the mix.  Without it, there's just no hope.  My goals will never be reached, my weight will never be where I want it to be, and there will be no exercise.

What is this important ingredient? 

It's probably the most simple, yet most difficult thing to attain.  It's free, yet without it - you make some of the most costly decisions.

It's:  MOTIVATION.

Yep, that one simple word holds the success or the failure of all your hopes, dreams, and goals in it's clutches.  It can be your best friend, or your worst enemy.  You love it or hate it.  But, at the end of the day - you know that if it's missing in the equation....you just can't do what you gotta do.

Motivation doesn't come in a bottle that can be consumed whenever you're running out of it.  You can't find it in any stores.  It's everywhere around you...free for the taking....yet, some of us (definitely including myself) find it to sometimes be harder to find than a rare cut diamond.

Just the smallest dose of this magical stuff can have the most dramatic of effects.  You work harder, you fight through pain, you say no to temptations. 

If you've read all of this and are now thinking "Great!  She's going to tell us how to get some" you're in for a huge disappointment.  I can't tell you that.  Sure, I can give you some ideas....which of course, I'll gladly do... but in the end, motivation is different for everyone.  The things that give me motivation may be the last things you would consider on your hunt for it.

I've read hundreds of blog posts, several books, and researched how to find Motivation.  Yet, even after all of that....I still find that getting the motivation is the hardest thing I've ever done.  And I've done many hard things in my life.

I have learned one little nugget of information, though.

It doesn't take very much motivation to accomplish amazing things.  Just a spoonful goes a long way.

So, after this long explanation....I've come up with my top ten list of how I find motivation.  Again, this list may not work for you. I have used everything on this list - and still I struggle - yet I always come back to it when I find myself a little lost, and motivationally dehydrated.
  1. Make a list of goals AND list reasons why these goals are important to you.  Examples:  Be healthy so I can be a good role model to my kids.  Get down to goal weight so I can show all those b**ches that doubted me to kiss my @**.
  2. Take pictures of yourself and post them in places where you'll look at them, often.  Like right in front of your computer or on your fridge.  Will you really grab that ice-cream if you are staring at yourself in a bathing suit? 
  3. Look at your family history for medical issues that are related, or could be worsened by your weight.  Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure...if someone in your family has it - you could have it to.  If you're sitting there thinking "well, no one in my family has any weight loss issues" - ask yourself if you want to be the first!
  4. Buy clothing one size too small, and try them onThis sounds harsh, but it works for me.  Putting something on and feeling how it feels when it's too tight really sends shock waves to do something about it.  Then, you get the glory the day you can finally put it on - comfortably.
  5. Create a list of rewards for mini milestones...things to look forward to when you reach your goals.  New clothes, spa days, date nights...all great rewards.  Just do yourself a favor - no food rewards, m'kay?  If you really want to treat yourself with food - reward yourself with a healthy cooking class...or hiring a personal chef for the night to cook a fancy, healthy meal.  Hey - if you're gonna reward... reward big - am I right?
  6. Recruit a friend or group of friends to help you - and you help them - there is power in numbers.  Start a walking club at work, host an office Biggest Loser competition, or just ask a buddy to work-out and eat healthy with you.  Make sure it's a close friend, though...pretty sure that woman that sits three cubicles down that eats cupcakes for breakfast and lunch and thinks she's looks HOTT in that Spandex she wears isn't going to be amused by you asking her to lose weight with you.  Regardless of how much you think she needs to.
  7. Start a blog or journal to record your efforts, and your downfalls.  Urm, hello, aren't I living proof at how magical and wonderful having an online blog can be?  Please hold your rude comments....we're not all perfect. 
  8. Read blogs of other people that have lost lots of weight...pay attention to how they feel, how they did it, and make similarities to your own life.  There are so many people out there that have lost 100+lbs and are still kicking @** and taking names with keeping the weight off....find them!!
  9. Find an exercise or class that you think you'd enjoy...running, Zumba, boxing, etc.  If you're scared - start off easy.  Go for a walk.  Dare yourself to try running for 30 seconds.  You may not be able to do it at first, but if you keep trying - you will.
  10. Start every day with a new outlook.  Regardless of how you falter, you can start over every single day.  Never Give Up. 
Number 10 is probably one of my most important motivation factors - and it got me through my recent 3 month hiatus.  Even though I fell off the wagon pretty hard - I never stopped believing that I'd get back on it.  Every day, I told myself that my journey wasn't over....I'd find my motivation again....and things would all fall in to place.

Like I already said, I have tried and continue to use each of those nuggets of motivational advice.  They don't always work every day - but they work.

I'm always open for new suggestions, however....and guess what?  That's where you come in.  Please share your nuggets of motivation advice below.  How do you make yourself push through the obstacles that are thrown your way every day?  What gives you the strength to do that work-out even though you don't feel like doing in?  What makes you say NO to the temptations of unhealthy foods?

Today, I'm challenging everyone - myself included - to find just a spoonful of motivation to do something today that you haven't done in a long time.  Just one tiny step in the right direction...something you can be proud of - no matter how insignificant you may think it is.

Maybe you get in a small workout.  Maybe you cook a healthy meal for dinner.  Maybe you skip the fast food line for lunch, and opt for a home made healthier lunch.  Maybe you give up your soda for one day and drink water all day instead.  Whatever it is - dig down, find that motivation, and use it.

Just a spoonful of motivation makes the numbers go down.

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

3 comments:

  1. Good list. I have always been intrigued as to why some need help getting motivated and some don't need any help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good good good - I should print this out - once I find the motivation to do so...OY.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!