Monday, July 12, 2010

It's the Final Countdown

This is it!  We're down to the final week of bootcamp.  I will be so sad to say goodbye, but I'm very excited to see the changes that I've made.  I can already see the changes to my strength and stamina - but I'm extremely excited to see the changes in my measurements and my body fat percentage. 

Being that I really don't have much to talk about today - I figured I would take the opportunity to talk about the instructors that have worked their butts off to ensure that I worked off mine.  I know, without a doubt, that without them - I would never have achieved the results that I did.  Their dedication to pushing us to our limits, and their support during the duration of bootcamp really made their torture bareable.

Let's start off with "Bob".  This guy is the coordinator of the entire bootcamp program.  He's ex-military, built like a ton of bricks, and is willing to do just about anything to help you succeed.  His real name is Harley.  Now, if you're a Bob Harper fan from the Biggest Loser - then you'd absolutely LOVE Harley.  He offers that more "sensitive" side, gets you to think about why you're doing what you're doing, and pushes you to reach your goals.  Don't let the sensitive side fool you, though - cause he'll push you, and he's not going to let you back down.  He gives me the feeling every day - yes, every day..Thank you Facebook!! - that I can do what I want to do.  He is always willing to go that extra mile to make sure that I have what I need to succeed, and won't hesitate to let me know when I need to make some adjustments. 

Then, there's Jillian.  Now, I don't want to play favorites with the instructors - because they all do a FANTASTIC job; however, there's something about Jillian that makes me push myself that little bit further even when I think I have nothing more to give.  Combine her with Harley - and oh boy, I know I'm working my butt off.  Her real name is Heather.  Heather is the instructor that doesn't want to listen to excuses, will work your butt off every single chance she gets, and don't even think about quitting while she's around.  Her cals are torture, but she knows how to get the job done.  There's nothing more motivating than having her do her Jillian techniques of yelling "DON'T YOU QUIT!" and "YOU CAN DO THIS!"  She also has the greatest sense of humor, and when you think you're on the verge of tears - she knows how to get a smile back on your face.  On top of bootcamp, I also had the privalege of attending two of her yoga classes.  I already knew that I liked yoga before going to the classes, but she really helped me see that I can do yoga - and I'm good at it.  She is always there for me, both in and out of bootcamp (again, thank you Facebook!!).  Her words of motivation and encouragment fuel my fire within, and I know that as long as she's watching - I won't let her down.

Bob and Jillian are a great team - but throw a little Cara into the mix...and watch out!!  Cara is such a great addition to the bootcamp team.  She's supportive, motivating, and knows how to give one heck of a work-out.  If she doesn't think you're giving your all, then she's going to push you until she's satisfied. She has a great sense of humor, and really pushes for team spirit.

Last, but definately not least, there's Tammie.  Tammie only came to Charlie Company (our team) last week.  She's been standing in for Cara, while Cara is on vacation.  I haven't gotten to spend much time with her, but she was a great asset to helping us get the job done.  The past week of bootcamp was brutal, but her motivation really helped keep us in check. 

One thing I have to say about all of the bootcamp instructors that I worked with - they are truly AMAZING!!  I have had so many people ask me what the atmosphere is like at bootcamp - questions such as "do they constantly yell at you?"and "what do they do if you can't do something?"  The answers to these questions are - yes, they are going to constantly yell at you.  They are going to yell pure motivation, encouragement, and words of praise.  If you can't do something, they will make the appropriate modifications so that you can.  They aren't going to let you sit around, they are going to make you work - and work hard.  What would be so amazing about a fitness program that didn't?  I wanted results - I got results.  The instructors made those results happen. 

I can't write a bootcamp dedication post without mentioning the amazing people that are going through bootcamp with me.  They are people that are their from different walks of life, different fitness levels, and different ages - and these people become your team mates, your comrades, and your additional motivation.  People that start out as complete strangers in the beginning become friends - and are there to encourage you every step of the way.  No one is there to judge you, no one is going to make you feel inferior - everyone works together, sweats together, cheers together, and succeeds together.  I really didn't want to mention names - but I have to. 

Jenny is, I believe, the youngest female on the team - and the fittest.  This girl can do unassisted pull-ups, knock out push-ups like their nothing, and run through the obstacle course like it's a child's playground.  The thing I love about Jenny is the fact that despite her advantages, she will NEVER leave a team mate behind.  She provides constant motivation, words of encouragement - and is always the first to congratulate you for achieving a new goal....often noticing it before you do.

Linda is the oldest member on the team.  She just celebrated her 58th birthday - but don't let that number fool you.  This woman has the heart of a lion, and the strength of a 20 year old.  She is the person I am inspired to be one day.  Her words of encouragement are always humorous, and she's always showing that age is just a number....just watch her work-out.

Larry - ah, what to say about Larry.  Larry is a hoot.  He is ex military, and won't let you forget it.  He's always yelling words of encouragement, and team spirit pours from him as he sweats.  He is the one that gets me through the runs by singing the military cadences.  He has really helped me a lot - much more than he realizes.

Josh is our "class clown".  He never fails to come up with the craziest stories, and is full of laughs.  He works hard, and has offered his support to me in many ways.  He's lifted me across the Tarzan (monkey bars), hauled me over the wall, and is always willing to forget his dog tags and meal logs so we can get in extra cals.  Such a team player - he's always got our fitness on his mind.  ;)

Andreas (sp) is the shy guy.  He doesn't say much, but he's always willing to give you that motivating "you can do it" when you need it.  He's strong, hard working, and is willing to help out in any way he can. 

Karrie is a woman driven by pure motivation.  I was lucky enough to have met Karrie before bootcamp started, and she was the one to inspire me to push myself with my running.  She always has words of encouragement for everyone, and her dedication and motivation fuels everyone to give everything they have.

There are more people - and they are all just as motivating....but the above people are the "regular crew".  They are the people that have helped me just as much as the instructors have in getting me through it all.  For that, I thank them dearly. 

So, there you have it...Charlie Company in a nutshell.  It's going to be hard to say goodbye - but this is not the end.  This is the beginning of understanding more about strength and stamina than I've ever known before, the beginning of great friendships that hopefully last, and a new beginning of going on my journey knowing that I'm not alone anymore - I will always have support when I need it.

Till next time.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Joanna, It has been an absolute joy working with you too. I'm sad to see it end, but I intend to continue a program here at home. You are right about age, it is just a number. I have always felt 18 and I refuse to go any higher than that. What was it someone recently said to me? You can get older, but you don't have to mature? Somehow, I don't think that's right. Keep Working out! Linda

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!