Monday, January 21, 2013

First Official Progress Weigh-In of 2013!



Yeah, I know I've weighed myself LOTS of times since 2013 started... but didn't you notice that I said first OFFICIAL PROGRESS weigh-in?  That means that it doesn't matter how many times I've stood on the scale, I'm only plugging today's numbers in to my progress tracker on my Atkins app.  That's MUCH different.

And I'm trying something different this time around with reporting it on here.  I'm not disclosing my actual weight.. I'm just going to report how much I lose each week.  That's it.  I know, that's not as fun... but it's what I want to do.

I don't know why I'm changing it, I've been this weight before... but, it's just how I want to do things this time.

So....this week, I lost.....drum roll please....

5.6lbs!!!!

That's pretty awesome.  I'm so happy with that number, even with my minor panic attack from yesterday when there was a fluctuation on the scale I didn't like.

I also discovered why there was a fluctuation yesterday...and it had nothing to do with eating too much or anything silly like that.  Just a certain monthly visitor that I totally forgot was coming.  She arrived this morning.  So, I'm chalking it up to bloating.

To lose 5 1/2 pounds in a week just blows my mind.  It hasn't been near as hard as I thought it would be.  I haven't had to spend hours working out or eating portions comparable to that of my five year old.  It's amazing that just cutting out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. can have such a massive effect on my weight loss.

I have several obstacles waiting for me this week.

Tonight, I'm working the concession stand at the basketball game.  Which means I'll be surrounded by popcorn.  It will also mean that I won't get to eat until late... because right after school I have a meeting, followed by a baby shower, followed by the game.  Oh, and there's the baby shower.  You know there will be nibbles and cake at that.

Then there's the fact of my monthly visitor.  She always makes me want to eat...especially chocolate and carbs.

But you know what?  Seeing that I've lost over 5lbs in a week keeps me strong.  It makes me not want to sabotage my hard work.  It makes me want to keep going strong, to see how much I can lose by next week.

No matter how much I look at it, there's always going to be obstacles and temptations.  ALWAYS.  In fact, every single day last week I faced some form of temptation.  Every night my family ate some form of pasta or potato or carb side with their dinner.  I had the power to avoid that... why on earth couldn't I avoid stuff like popcorn and baby shower cake?

And a week in, I realize that it's pretty difficult to cut out carbs from everything but vegetables.  Difficult but not impossible.  I'm learning to rely more on the Atkins products, and partnering a protein with veggies that I really love for dinner.  And I also keep reminding myself that it's not forever.  The stronger I am with this phase, the quicker I'll lose the weight, and the quicker I'll be able to move in to the next phase - which opens up the door, slightly, for additional foods.

One thing I do know is that I'm not over my carb addiction.  Not by a long shot.  Even though I've found the strength to avoid them, I haven't stopped craving them.  I know that just a tiny bite will head me down a fast, slippery slope.  And I can't take that risk.  I'm not ready.  I might not be ready for weeks or even months.  But, I'm OK with that.  It will be a huge victory to overcome one of my biggest downfalls to my weight problems.

I just have to stay strong.  Keep my eyes on the prize.  And keep repeating every week like this last week.

Bring it on, Week 2!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. That is an AMAZING loss! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - you kick butt. Atkins is totally do-able and yummy and you can get full but like you said - once I take a bite - it's all over. I can't go back to no carbs after I cheat and have a chip or brownie. You are doing great though and I think the plan is a great jump start. I only report what I lose each week so we're twinsies there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support, everyone!! It means a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!