Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Start the Year as You Mean to Go On



First off:  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I know I said that yesterday, but today is officially the first day of 2013, so it's better to say it today.

Growing up, my mom used to start every new years with the saying "you need to start the year as you mean to go on".  It's something I've uttered many times myself.  I've been writing this blog for almost three years.  However, there's only two years that I've posted in January.  I looked back this morning and read the first entry for 2011 and for 2012.  The similarities in the two posts are almost scary.  Both posts start out with me saying that I want to start the year doing some form of exercise - but not doing it.  Both posts start out with me babbling on about my weight loss plans and what I plan on doing - yet from the very first day, I slack off and "don't feel like it".  Looks as though there's some power in starting the year as I mean to go on - because both of those years saw some major weight gain on my part and a lot of slacking off.

I want this year to be different.  I'm not making big plans to go out and get in some killer work-out.  My plans today are all about getting myself ready to go back to work tomorrow.

Last night, I did break in the new year as I mean to go on.  I gathered all of the kids to play some games.  I tortured forced asked Hubby to join in, even though he's not a real fan of board games.  We had a lot of fun just relaxing and playing some games.  It was very different from the way we usually spend new years... which usually involves family coming over, loud music, and partying.  The kids are usually off in one part of the house playing while the adults are in another part of the house playing darts.

That didn't happen this year.

It was quiet.  It was calm.  It was intimate.  Just the five of us sitting around a table and playing.

We rang in the new year together, and then we were all in bed by 12:30.  Not exactly a wild night - but after spending many nights up with Jelly while she got over her flu, I don't think I could have stayed up much later.

But, it was how I want the rest of my year to go on.  With my family.  Having fun.  Enjoying our time together.

This year, I'm breaking the mold.  No starting the year off with a starting weight and a goal weight.  No deadlines or check lists.  Just a blank page... 365 of them to be exact.  Each day brings on a new journey and a new plan.

Yesterday, when I wrote out my resolutions, I used time as a factor for many of them.  Using my time better, planning my time better, spending more time doing this and that.  And I do plan on doing all of that... but as each day comes.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you how much weight I want to lose.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you how much money I plan on saving.  I'm not putting a deadline or restraints on any of it.  My resolutions are a guide.  Just a guide.  Rather than starting the year off with the "I will" I want to end this year with the "I did".

That's how I plan on going on this year...taking one day at a time, embracing what life throws at me, and sharing it all with you.




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Have you "discovered Fitnessblender.com? I discovered when I was in a hotel with no fitness center -- you can choose workouts that are just 10 minutes, if you want. That and I've asked my son to be my "coach" and keep track of my exercise for me and encourage me to exercise when I don't feel like it. I'll tell you how it works...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went and had a little looksy. I might have to think about something like this...thanks for sharing!!

      Delete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!