Monday, January 28, 2013

What Does the Scale Say Today?



I can't believe it's Monday again, already.  Once again, another weekend flew by and in a couple of hours I'll be walking back in to my classroom for another busy week.

Along with it being Monday, again, it's also weigh in day..again.  Which, I should more appropriately name "Official Weigh In Day"...because I step on the scale WAY too much.  I keep telling myself to stay off the thing during the week - but I like to have a little looksy at how I'm doing.  It's a mind game, no doubt about it.  If the scale goes down, I tell myself I'm on track and to keep doing what I'm doing.  If it goes up, I try to monitor and adjust - and take in consideration for water, and other areas of the stomach that could be holding on to some weight.

Take this weekend, for example.  I stood on the scale on Friday and hadn't lost a single ounce all week.  Stood on the scale yesterday, and saw a BIG loss - over a pound more lost than what I saw this morning.  But, I keep to my word and am only keeping my actual progress to what the scale tells me on Monday mornings.

So, wanna know what it is?

I'm down 1.6lbs.

Not a fantastic loss for an entire week, but a loss nonetheless.  That means, in two weeks, I've lost 7.4lbs.

Yesterday, I had lost close to 3lbs - which would have given me a loss of almost 10lbs... but, like I said... gotta go with what it says today.  It might mean that I have a bigger loss next week.... but I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

One thing I've learned this week is how important it is to track EVERYTHING.  I'll admit, I didn't track as much this week.  I'm not going to lie - I HATE logging my food.  But I've also learned how easy it is to think I'm staying on track, and then have absolutely no flippin' clue how many carbs I'm actually eating.  Those little buggers are in EVERYTHING! Almost.

So, if I want to have as much progress as I did in my first week - I'm going to have to keep track of what I'm eating.  Whether I like it or not.

One thing I do know is that I can't complain.  I've lost more in two weeks than I have in months.  When I was losing weight "back in the day" (HA!) it was common for me to lose about 1.6lbs in a week...and that was after spending a couple of hours in the gym and doing some running.  I don't even remember if I ever lost almost 8lbs in two weeks when I was doing all of that.

I've lost this weight by just eating.  I haven't exercised one bit.

Not to say that's a good thing... but it kinda is.  I know without a shadow of a doubt that I gave up on my weight loss progress in the past because I felt like I was working so hard - yet it was taking forever to see some good results.  Now, I'm hardly working and seeing great results.  No wonder I'm still giddy and excited to be on this plan.

Like my buddy, Drazil, told me yesterday.  I might...just might... be one of those people that low carb works for.  There are so many people out there that are living their lives - after having lost some serious amounts of weight - still on the Atkins diet.  Except, it's not a diet program for them anymore...it's just how they eat.  Period.  Through following all of the phases, they have been able to add complex carbs back in to their diet - but they know their bodies, now.  They know how many grams of carbs they can eat each day to maintain their weight.  Something inside of me tells me that I can be one of those people.

I know it's not going to happen overnight....but I already feel that it's happening fast enough.  And why would I not want that?

So, here I go with Week 3.  Tracking everything...doing what I'm supposed to do...and ready to see that scale go down even more.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. YAY!! Congrats on your loss!! That's an awesome # for 2 weeks!

    I started looking at food (particularly the bad carbs with an attitude of) "I don't eat that" instead of "I can't eat that." I choose not to eat simple carbs because they cause cravings, bloating, weight gain and make me moody. Changing the phrasing from *can't* to *don't* gave me the power!

    When I started MediFast a while ago, I had NO desire to exercise until I lost about 30#'s. I bet as you lose more & more weight, you will naturally feel the need to want to exercise more.

    I wouldn't worry so much about the exercise right now if you are not into it and it's going to push you into burn out mode. You should still lose at a steady rate if you are eating well. As they say, abs are made in the kitchen!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - it's so weird you said that. One of my kids at school asked me yesterday (Monday) if I was going to bring them cupcakes for my birthday. I told them I wasn't because I DON'T eat cupcakes...not that I can't. They thought I was nuts, and it totally caught me off guard.. but you're so right. It completely changed my thought process about the cupcakes.

      And you're probably right about the exercising, too. I am still planning on doing my annual 5K in April that I've done the past 3 years. I bet in another month or so - after some more weight has come off - that it will start niggling at me to get out and move before I'm expected to walk/jog 5K after doing nothing for almost a year. LOL

      Delete
  2. Good job Joanna!! I agree with Draz, Atkins does seem to agree with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! She's one smart cookie that Draz. For being a complete stranger, she knows me pretty well. I have to agree with her - I really do feel like this program agrees with me 100%.

      Delete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!