Friday, February 01, 2013

Another Year Older!



Oh yes.  It's my birthday.  I am now 31 years young.

And you wanna know how I kicked off my big day? By filing my taxes.  Fun, right?  Now there's a party starter, if I do say so myself.

But, it's OK.  I'm actually one of those few people that don't mind filing taxes. I prepare them myself, it's a pretty easy process, and I have until April 15th to pay the state taxes that I owe - and luckily, it's not too much.  Plus, I am getting some money back for my federal returns - so that's a nice little birthday gift to think about.

I'm celebrating my birthday, this year, by doing what I always do - I'm going to play bingo with my mom tomorrow.  Hubby told me that once he gets his tax money back, he's going to take me out for a romantic dinner - just the two of us.  We'll pawn the kids off to a family member, and just he and I will enjoy a night out on the town.  And that's fine with me.  I don't give a flying whoop whether it's actually on my birthday or not...just as long as we get to do something special.  His birthday is in April - so if we go and spend the evening out one night in March...it can count for both of us.  That's thrifty thinking, right there!

And I have no shame in stating that I'm one of those people that soaks up some serious birthday attention.

The people I work with, and the kiddos in my class, are probably so glad this day has finally come.  It's not like I've been subtly mentioning it for the past several weeks or anything.

In fact, when I found out that the school was planning on celebrating another birthday today that belonged to someone else - who's birthday occurs over the weekend - it's not like I pitched a little fit or screamed down the hall that it was MY BIRTHDAY or anything.  In case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm.... I totally did that.  

Not even ashamed of it.

Why should I be?  I'm one of those people that enjoys celebrating her birthday. If I know that someone else is going to be stealing my thunder - even if it is my boss, and the one person I should graciously hand over the attention to - I'm not gonna.

This birthday is really special...a lot more special than in recent years.  I'm celebrating this birthday as a teacher.  My first birthday as a teacher.  A financially stable, happy, mother and fiance.  A less stressed person.  And, with the progress I've made since January 1st, a thinner person.

Yes.  This birthday has been a long time coming.  To truly be happy is something that should be treasured and celebrated and enjoyed.

So, that's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to soak it up all day today.  All day tomorrow.  And maybe some on Sunday.  I've earned it.  It's been a crazy 30 years....and it's time to celebrate everything I've been through, and everything I've accomplished.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!