Friday, May 31, 2013

OK, Mother Nature... Just Calm Down!



I've been living in my new house for two weeks, now, and the tornado sirens have gone off three days within those two weeks... THREE DAYS!! Well, nights actually.  But, still.  In a matter of two weeks, there have been three sets of tornado warnings issued for our area.

Thankfully, non of the warnings have actually produced tornadoes in our immediate area.... but they have pretty close around us.  Just take a trip a couple of miles down the road and you can see evidence of a tornado touchdown from last week.  That's pretty darn close, too close for my liking.

What I'd like to know is who in the south has royally ticked off Mother Nature?  I mean, it's a day before June and we've hardly had a temp reach in to the upper 80's, and it's been non-stop rain, thunderstorms, and tornadoes.  She seems to have a major beef with our part of the country... because it wasn't enough to take out almost an entire town in Oklahoma - now she's rearing up to make a return visit later tonight.

That's right.  We're in for yet another evening of severe thunderstorms, tornado watches, flash flood warnings, and possible tornadoes.  The area to the east of us - which includes the OK City area and the town of Moore that got slammed last week - are in for another bought of highly likely tornado activity.  And then it will all move this way.

Last night, I sat in front of my TV as continuous news coverage explained that there was rotation and low forming clouds just a few miles down the road.  I listened to the tornado sirens go off, once again.  I watched the rain and the wind and the continuous lightning hammer the world outside my window.  Thankfully, we didn't lose power or TV signal...so I was able to stay on top of where the storm was and how much danger we were in.  Which, wasn't really that much, but it was still way too close for my liking.  My mom called, worried by what she was seeing on the news that was heading straight for my direction.  I tried to put her at ease, but I'm sure it's not easy to see a major tornado developing storm headed straight for the town your child is living in.

I'm not looking forward to going through it all again tonight.  We're lucky that we have a storm shelter right next door, but just the thought of another night of wondering and worrying is getting a little old.

Someone needs to slip Mother Nature a few happy pills... because this temper tantrum she's having is getting a little old.

What's worse is that you'd think with all this rain, my allergies would taper off a little.  Urm...no.  In fact, they're worse.  Can you believe that?  All this rain, and my allergies are actually worse!!  My eyes are puffy and swollen, my nose is running like a faucet, and all I want to do is curl up in a ball and sleep through all of this.  Not exactly the summer I had planned on, is it?

I did manage to get one productive thing done today...and that's make an appointment to have the wisdom tooth pulled that's causing me so much pain. It may end up being all of my wisdom teeth, who knows... but as long as something is done about the one that's causing me so much hassle right now.  I'll only have a week to recover from that before I have to start teaching summer school, but I should be OK by then.  I just hope that by the end of June, when summer school is over, the nice weather has finally come, and my allergies are finally gone.

I'd at least like a couple of weeks during this summer break to not be in pain and to enjoy my new pool.  Is that too much to ask?  I sure hope not.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!