Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tornados, and Allergies, and Pain, OH MY!

So, we are all safe here in my neck of the woods.  The past 48 hours have been quite the wild ride.  Watching and hearing about devastating tornados taking out entire towns just hours away from us can be pretty scary.

Sunday, the wind was raging on most of the day but the sun was shining.  The wind ended up taking down a tree in our neighbor's yard that ended up destroying a portion of our fence.  It's pretty sad that we ended up with tree damage from a bit of wind.  It was nice to be able to meet our neighbors, but not under those circumstances.  He was friendly enough about it, though, and gave my brother a chainsaw to use to get rid of the tree.  My neighbor has recently had open heart surgery, so he wasn't in any condition to start taking care of a fallen tree.  He said he would take care of the fence, however, and was super nice about the whole ordeal.  

That night we got a bit of rain, but nothing too bad.  I know there were several tornados in Oklahoma, however.  But, I knew that last night was the night to watch out for.

Yesterday, at work, I had the most awful sinus headache from my allergies.  My head felt like it had been inflated with air, and I just needed to jab a needle in it to deflate it a little.  Thankfully, there wasn't a whole lot going on at work yesterday due to there only being two days of school left.  We played some games in the morning and watched movies in the afternoon.  My classroom still doesn't have AC, so the heat didn't help my headache any, but I'd much rather sit in the heat than try and teach with a pounding headache.  

I stayed after school to attend the 8th grade graduation ceremony.  I took the opportunity to start cleaning up my classroom a little, and being that my brother was with me he was able to help.  My head was getting worse and worse as the time went on.  After about an hour, there was an announcement made that due to impending bad weather, the graduation was being cancelled.  I couldn't believe it.  I was so sad for all the kids and the hard work they put in to getting ready for the ceremony, but relieved because I was sure my head wasn't going to withstand much more.

We finally got home around 5:30, and by then I was almost in tears with how much pain I was in.  I knew a doozy of a storm was coming because the pressure and thickness to the air was stifling.  I made my way to the couch in order to try and give myself from relief from the throbbing going on in my head...which didn't help.  I decided to give up about 30 minutes later when the first tornado warning was issued through our TV.  Of course, that sent a mini frenzy through my household with my brother and my kids.  I told them not to panic, and tried to see what was going on.

About 5 minutes later, the tornado sirens went off.  We have a siren right across the street from us, so it was super loud.  I did the one thing I always do when I hear a tornado siren...went outside to see what was going on.  I know, I know... not smart.  It brought back a lot of memories, though, of living in this town before.  The sirens used to go off quite a bit, and I'd always step outside to see if there was anything to worry about.  Thankfully, like many, many times before, there was just a severe storm heading in.  The winds were pretty strong and it was lightening really hard, but other than that.. just a nasty storm.  

The storms lasted all of 20 minutes, maybe.  The news kept saying there was rotation around us, but no tornados actually touched down.  Then, it was just rain and a bit of lightening.  My headache did not let up, however, and I finally had to call it a night and try and get some sleep.

Thankfully, when I woke up this morning, my headache was gone.  I hope it stays that way.. because I don't want another repeat of yesterday.  I have awards ceremonies and graduations and talent shows to attend today.  

It's the last day with my kiddos, and I know it's going to be a tough day.  But, I'm ready...as long as I can enjoy the day minus any allergy problems.

2 comments:

  1. Very pleased to hear that you are safe. My thoughts are with those who were not so fortunate.
    http://journeywithafinaldestination.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you guys are safe in your area. Those storms looked super scary on TV yesterday.

    I hope you have a great day today without pain!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!