Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Another Guest Post from Peanut - Yet This Time She Doesn't Realize It

Last week, my beautiful, smart, witty daughter wrote a guest post for my blog.  She loves to write - just like her Momma. 

When I say that Peanut is a mini-me, it's scary how much that is actually true.  Well, not scary as in I wish she wasn't, scary as in everything she does reminds me of what I was like when I was younger. 

I got her a tablet for Christmas because, like me, she likes to stay connected to people on Facebook and she likes to text.  I got her the tablet, however, because I hoped it would drag her away from the computer and give her more time with me...even if she was a little preoccupied by her 7" screen.  But, alas, the tablet just means that she can now sit in her room most of the day messing with it.

Sometimes it bugs me.  A lot.  I don't like the fact that she often likes to keep to herself, locked up in her room for hours on end.  It worries me, too, cause then I start to think that she doesn't want to be with her family.  Then, I get a harsh dose of reality and realize that she's acting the exact same way I did when I was that age...well, maybe a couple of years older.

When I was a tween, I spent a lot of time in my room.  I listened to music, I watched TV, I wrote in my journal, and I wrote poetry.  I wasn't a sad, depressed tween - I just liked my own company and enjoyed time by myself.  Being the oldest of six kids, the time I spent in my room was my sanctuary - the time I got to have some peace and quiet.  Peanut is the exact same way.

Christmas morning, I got one of the biggest surprises I've ever received.  Peanut wrote me a poem.  It was a poem so good that it actually made me cry like a baby.  I got Peanut's permission to post it here for you all to see.  So, here goes... My Christmas present from Peanut (that was inside the mini purse that she made for me):

Dear Mom...

I know it's been tough
But Christmas is here
The way you've acted
It's your favorite time of the year
I also know
How money's been scarce
Even though you haven't stopped
Climbing life's set of stairs
With a new job and even new friends
And with all the tough times
There always comes mends
I, as your daughter,
Want you to be
As happy today
And as twinkly as the tree
I've seen your spirit
Towards today
And I've also sensed the stress
Buy, Hey!
It's Christmas Day
And a time for cheer
Mom, you may have been stressed
For weeks, to months, and now a year
But the memories we'e made
Make the stress seem mere

Isn't that beautiful?  The girl has some poetic talent, that's for sure.  I want to say that she gets it from me, but I wasn't writing anything like this when I was 11.
It's little things like this that make me take a step back and realize that there's nothing wrong with Peanut wanting time to herself.  It doesn't mean she doesn't want to spend time with me - she just likes seclusion sometimes.  I know that she loves me - and little gestures like this one shows it more than sitting with me in the living room ever could.

Tomorrow, I'm starting my transition from Random Blog back to Weight Loss Blog.  I hope you're as excited as I am.  I want everything to start over come January 1st.  That may even mean a new look to the blog... but we'll have to see how far I get with that one.

Today, I have an appointment with Butter this morning and then I'm back to the couch to work on my new crochet projects.  I'm dabbling with character hats!  I'm about 2/3rds finished with an owl hat that I started last night.  I hope it comes out as cute as I hope... but we'll see.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

2 comments:

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!