Friday, December 02, 2011

Dear Santa...


It's me.  Joanna.  You know...the girl that should probably work for you, being that I consider myself the queen of Santa is Real Proof stories.  Of course you know, you know everything, you see everything.


Being that you know all and see all, you know how good I've been this year.  You also know how hard I've worked, and the struggles I've overcome.  For some reason, the song Santa Baby just popped in my head.  As tempting as it is to ask you for a bunch of cool things for myself, that's not why I'm writing to you today.


This is the first year where both of my oldest two children have reached the age of disbelief.  I know, I'm as shocked as you are.  I mean, how can two these two children stop believing in you - when I work so hard to keep you as a part of our Christmas?  Every year since they were born, you have been the main attraction at Christmas.  All of their gifts come from you, they get video messages from you.... I don't get it, either, but it is what it is.  I guess that's partly why I've decided to write to you, this year, because the older two kids won't.  


I've taken the liberty of explaining to my children - and all the children I work with - that the economic times has had it's toll on you.  With as many people as there are without jobs, or struggling to make ends meet...you have also had the same issues, I know that.  I've tried to explain to them that you will do what you can, because I know that you will.  Regardless of how many gifts you've delivered in the past, this year may be a little smaller than what they are used to...and they are fine with it.


I just would like to point out, though, that it's come to my attention that some of the kiddos I work with have never been visited by you.  I was shocked.  I mean, I know that you would never skip over a house deliberately.  A lot of these kids have done quite a bit of moving around, so I assume that you never got their updated address.  I understand - but I'm hoping that this year, you'll make sure you have all the lists and children triple checked...cause it will break my heart to hear that another Christmas has gone by and they still haven't received anything from you.


Although, again, with the economic times - I understand.  That's also why I wanted to post my letter to you here... so that maybe I could recruit some help from you this year.  As I consider myself one of your volunteer helpers, I want to do what I can... but I don't have the funds to buy gifts for all of the children that have never been graced with your presents - pun intended.  


I know that Christmas is more than just giving gifts - and to the kids that I've spoken to, Christmas is just about being with family and making the most of what they have.  It's heart wrenching and heart warming to hear from kids that know who you are, but don't hold any grudges against you that you seem to have forgotten about them each year.  They consider their house, their parents, their school, and their teachers to be gifts....gifts they need much more than toys.  Now, tell me that hearing something like that doesn't pull at every heart string beating in your chest?


My hope in writing this letter to you, is that maybe..just maybe...other people might step in and help me try to make a little bit of difference to all of these children this year.  Whether it be donating a toy at the department stores running a toy drive, collecting all of the no longer needed toys at their houses and recycling them for children who would love them, picking a child off of the Angel trees, or donating a few dollars to an organization that buys gifts for kids, my hope is that all of the kids that have never heard from you gets a little taste of what you're about this Christmas.

In Christmases past, I've known that there are kids out there that don't get anything for Christmas.  I'd heard about it - but never seen them or met any of them.  I always took for granted the blessings that I'd been able to share with my own children.  I truly believe, that maybe you had a hand in leading me to the job I have now.  I needed to be with these kids that have so much love in their heart without the possessions or cool toys.  They are happy kids.  Kind kids.  Kids that care about each other.  They don't deserve more than other kids get for Christmas, but I believe they deserve something - don't you?  

I heard a story a couple of weeks ago that literally had me bawling like a baby.  I heard of a story of a 5th grade girl that sobbed when she received a gift from you - that had been kindly given by one of your "volunteers".  The girl sobbed and sobbed.  When asked why she was crying, she explained "I've never received a gift from Santa, and I've never received a gift that had my name on it".  This year, I want to hear more stories like this one.  I want to hear that volunteers, on your behalf, have helped make kids' dreams come true by receiving a gift at Christmas.  

This is all I want for Christmas, this year.  My kids are covered.  Don't worry about us.  Despite my previous thoughts that I wouldn't be able to give my kids a good Christmas, I've learned that what they get is far more than what others will get.  They will be just fine, and have a magical Christmas - like always.  I now want other kids to feel that same feeling.  I will do my part to do everything in my power this year - and every year from now - doing what I can to help all of the kids I work with have a great Christmas.  I know that I won't be able to do it alone - and it is my request... my gift request, if you will...that others can help me with this task. 

I hope this letter reaches you in time.  I have full faith that you'll do what you can - and for that I'm truly grateful.

Your loyal honorary Elf,

Joanna


Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!