Friday, December 16, 2011

My Thoughts on Christmas Cards....And Other End of the Week Stuff


Aaaahhh......can you feel that?  Can you feel the excitement that's bubbling up inside of me?  Can you feel the waves of happiness that's pulsating through the computer screen this very second?  You should.  I'm almost shaking I'm so freaking excited about today.

Today is the official last day of school before Christmas break.  This is it.  After today, I get two wonderful weeks off to celebrate the holidays and spend time with my family.  I just can't control my excitement.

Before the day is over, however, I have so much stuff going on at work.  Today, I find out who my Secret Santa is.  I have a feeling I know who it is... but I only really figured it out yesterday.  That is, if I'm right.  All week long I've been going back and forth between a few people... but yesterday was the day I finally got an A-HA that made me think I'm right this time.  I know I said that I'd be sharing my gifts with you guys each day... but, well, you know how that went.  So, I decided that tomorrow, I'll fill you all in with the wonderful stuff I got.  I had an awesome Secret Santa....and she made my week very special with the little goodies I received each day.

Last night was Peanut's first Christmas program at her new school with her new band.  They were awesome!!  Peanut was in band at her old school.  Well, when I say band.  I mean that she played the clarinet and joined together with about 15 other kids who each played instruments.  They weren't bad.  Her old band was just....well...small.  It was such a small band that it was so hard to get a good sound - especially when it was 15 first year band students.

When I walked in to the gym for last night's performance, I was blown away with how many kids there were - and how many parents were in attendance.  Half of the gym was completely full.  And I mean all of the bleachers and the chairs that were set up in front of the bleachers.  It was a packed house.  The band was so big, and I was so far away, it was really hard to get a good photo of Peanut playing... but here's a pic of the band.



The band is compiled of all the kids in purple.  I know, it's hard to see.  But that's the best that I could do.  I even had to cut some kids out, there was so many of them. 

After the performance was over, all three kids and I had to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a things.  While we were there, Peanut asked if I'd buy her some Christmas Cards.  That got me thinking.  Should I be buying some Christmas cards?  Then I wondered why I was even thinking that.  I don't do Christmas cards.

Here's my take on Christmas cards.  I don't do them.  I'm not against Christmas cards.  I don't give out cards for any occasions.  I don't send birthday cards.  I don't give out anniversary cards.  Even when people are sick, I'd just go see them than have to find a card that says exactly what I want to say.  It's just too stressful.  Yes.  I said stressful.

I used to do cards.  Every year, I'd make out my list, buy the cards, spend hours writing them out...and then was excited to give them out the next day.  Then, I'd realize that I forgot someone.  Usually when it was too late to do anything about it.  Then, there was that awkwardness when I'd see the person then have to explain why everyone else around them got a card from me - but they didn't.  Or maybe I didn't forget anyone, but I'd feel like I did....and then spend my entire time off work worrying if I'd forgotten someone and I'd have to face that person once Christmas was over.  Just.  Too.  Stressful.  So I ditched card giving...all of it.  There's nothing worse than forgetting someone's birthday, either.

I'm not just talking extended family, co-workers, and friends either.  I'm talking everyone.  My own parents don't receive Christmas or birthday cards from me.  Why?  Because one year, I totally forgot my dad's birthday.  Then I had to live with the fact that I'd given everyone else a card, but forgot my dad.  How horrible is that?  So, now, I don't forget anyone.  I don't stress about it.  I don't feel like people will think less of me if they don't receive a card from me - because no one did.  I openly tell people that, too.  I tell them I don't do cards, because no one gets their feelings hurt when I forget them - because I know I'll forget someone.

So, I let Peanut buy some Christmas cards last night - and some candy canes to go with them.  She's still young...she's got a lot to learn.  I could already sense the stress last night when she realized she only had 32 cards...and had to remember everyone that needed one of those cards.  I kept my thoughts and opinions to myself - and let her go on.  It's not my place to decide whether or not she wants to give out cards.  Maybe she loves that kind of stuff.  And if so?  Good for her.  Butter's totally with me on this one, though.

Alright, I gots to dash.  This morning, I'm dressing myself up like a Christmas tree.  Don't worry - I'll be sure to take a pic to share with you tomorrow.  I'm completely decking myself out.  It's ugly sweater day at work - but I don't own an ugly sweater.  So, the next best thing?  Make myself look like a Christmas tree...with reindeer antlers.  Hey, cut me some slack...I'm excited about it.

Everyone have a WONDERFUL Friday.  And I believe my co-workers will be completely with me on this one... TGIF!!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

1 comment:

  1. We have an ugly sweater day next week and I have nothing either! Dang it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!