Saturday, December 03, 2011

BYOC is BACK!!!!


After a couple of Saturdays off from doing Bring Your Own Crazy, it's back...and I couldn't be more excited.  If you're new, BYOC is a little thing I do each Saturday.  It's a few questions created by one of my most favorite bloggers, Drazil, and then we share our answers so that we can get to know each other a little better.  This week, Drazil has come up with questions all related to a specific theme:  Where you live and why.

1. Describe the structure you live in. (apartment, condo, house, mansion, cardboard box?)

I live in a house.  Well, actually, it's a "modular home" which is a fancy way to say "mobile home".  Hey, I live in Arkansas!!  I don't like using the term mobile home - because it's not really mobile.  It's on a permanent foundation... so it's not going anywhere.

The house is about 10 years old... but feels and looks a lot older.  It's got 3 bedrooms and an office that's attached to the master bedroom.  It has 2 bathrooms, a double living room, and a huge kitchen.  The house has the potential of being beautiful - but it needs new carpets, paint, bathrooms....well... it needs a LOT of work.

2. Describe the city you live in. (population, main attractions)

Like Draz, I live in Podunk, USA.  The town has about 1500 people.  There's a school (which my kids do NOT attend), a few churches, a couple of convenient stores, a pizza place, a cafe, a general store, a bank, and a post office.  The town also houses two big chicken plants.  Those plants are about the only thing that keeps this little town alive.

I am not a fan of the town I live in - just because there's nothing here.  I'm more of a city girl...and so I spend all of my time (and money) in the closest two city's to us.  When I say city, I mean bigger towns - because you won't find any skyscrapers or any of that jazz.  The closest city to me is home to the biggest corporation in the WORLD.  Yep...it rhymes with Schmal-Smart.  I'm also very close to the home of J.B. Hunt, Tyson Chicken, and some other major corporations.  The other big town is the town in which I work.

Those big towns is where I do all of my grocery shopping, work, and play.  I live in a dry county - yet every restaurant in those towns serves alcohol.  Go figure.  If I want a night out on the town, I visit one county over - which is about 45 minutes from me.  There's a street right smack dab in the middle of a college campus that is nothing but bars, clubs, and restaurants.  I've spent many a girls' night out there. 

In the town in which I work, there's a huge outdoor mall, several outlet malls, hundreds of restaurants, just as many churches, and a lot of recreational stuff like movies, bowling, swimming, etc.  It's my dream to move there - one day... but I doubt that will happen.  Hubby prefers living out in Podunk.

3. Why do you live in the town you live in? (job, to get away from a different town, family, schools?)

I have no idea.  No, that's not entirely true.  We live here because we really don't have any other choice, at the moment.  My house belonged to my in-laws.  When they decided that they wanted to move into the bigger town, they gave us the option of taking over the payments to the house. At the time, we were living in a small two-bedroom apartment, and we were on the hunt for something bigger.  The house came with a very low mortgage payment, our own little plot of land - 5 1/2 acres to be exact, and the ability to buy it if we wanted.  The mortgage on this house was/is cheaper than the rent I was paying for the small apartment.  So, we couldn't pass up the offer.

4. What’s the view like from your backyard?

Of everything I don't like about my house - there is one thing I LOVE....and that's the view from my back deck.  We live in the forest...literally...so when you look out the back door, you see nothing but trees.  We really don't have a backyard, per say, just because there's about 10ft of grass before the forest starts.  However, in that forest - almost every morning - is the most beautiful wildlife.  I have deer that walk right up to the house, raccoons, beavers, foxes, squirrels, skunks, chipmunks...and so on and so on.  I actually had Hubby build me my back deck just so I'd have somewhere to sit and look into the woods.  It's breathtaking, really. 

During the spring, when I was struggling with school and finding a job, I spent many hours on that back deck just finding my peace.  As much as I really don't care for where I live - I have to say that if I ever moved, I would miss looking in to those woods.  Seeing a momma deer with her babies is one of the most beautiful sights that can be seen when you're a little down. 

5. Repeat question: How has your week been in blogland and in real life?
  
Blogland has been FANTASTIC!  I kicked off my Christmas countdown with a very heartfelt letter to Santa.  A couple of days ago, I also found out I won a blog giveaway!  I won a copy of My Memories digital scrap-booking software - courtesy of my friend Renee over at Renee's Ramblings.  My hope is that I can use the software to dabble around with a new blog design or at least sprucing the place up bit.

Real life has been good.  Dealing with the drama at work sucked donkey balls a little - but I quickly swept that crap under the rug and moved on.  Now, I'm full of Christmas spirit and happiness.  My mood is great, my family are all great....life is...well.... great.  Tomorrow, I'm having Jelly's birthday party.  She's going to be 4 on Monday, sniff.  I can't believe she's getting so big.  Four years old, already...doesn't even seem possible. 

OK, so if you want to join in with BYOC - please do!!  Go copy the questions on your own blog - and then come back and tell me when you did.

Things have been very quiet around here, lately.  I'm not sure if people have just moved on to better things - or if Christmas just has everyone so busy, that they're just behind in reading blogs.  I'm hoping it's the latter - and I'm guilty of that, too. 

Alright, I'm off to play with my new scrap-booking software.  

Everyone have a fantastic Saturday!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

1 comment:

  1. It definitely has been quieter in blogland this week. Holidays I suppose. Your back deck sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!