Friday, December 23, 2011

It's the Little Things...


We're getting close, folks.  Just one more day before Christmas Eve is here, and the Christmas celebrations will commence.  My house is buzzing like an electrical outlet.  The kids are excited, I'm excited....we're all excited.

I will be honest and say that blogging about Christmas every day for 23 days has gotten to be a little difficult.  I mean, there's only so much a person can say about this time of year....yet, I've still been able to do it.  I'm sure you're all probably sick of hearing it by now.  I'm sorry for that.  Just a couple more days, and I'll be back to sharing random crap that doesn't really have a point - I promise.

I think I may have mentioned once or twice how excited I was about my winter break.  OK, so maybe I've mentioned it almost every day for 22 days.  Just want to make sure that the point really gets across, I guess.  And I'm making sure that I really make the most of it, this year.  If you remember, for the past four Christmases I was a college student.  The first couple of years weren't so bad.  I didn't have too much on my plate over the winter break while in school... but the last two years?  Well, that's a completely different story.  Even though I was in between semesters, I was still piled high with work and research and other stuff that I had to take care of...instead of being able to enjoy the atmosphere that was taking place around me.

This year, I vowed to myself and my family that I'd do what I could to make up for the past couple of Christmases.  Because I have such an amazing family, they assured me that I have nothing to make up for.  That was in the past, and it's only how I deal with the present that's important.  Doesn't that make you want to grab a box of Kleenexes?

This week, it's been about one thing and one thing only:  Spending time with the family.  Sure, I've had to do some running around here and there... but the rest of the time?  I've been curled up on the couch, Christmas movies playing (I've seen Jim Carrey as the Grinch about 5000 times, this year alone), and just enjoying the time with the kiddos.

They are not as in to the "family time" as I am.  Who could blame them?  What kid wants to spend all day every day on the couch?  No, they've still had their time.  Peanut has spent some time on the computer, Butter has been outside playing, Jelly has been destroying my living room by dragging out every toy she owns.... but it's been nice.  I've loved it.

I've been a busy bee with my crocheting, too.  I've made three scarves - and just have three pairs of matching gloves to make to go with them.  I only have today to make them, but I think I can do it.  Crocheting is my most favorite winter hobby.  It's about the only time I do it - just because I think it's awesome curling up on the couch when it's cold, crocheting.  It's definitely not so fun when it's 90 degrees outside.

Two nights ago, Peanut actually showed some interest and asked me if I'd show her how to crochet.  I was ecstatic.  Peanut is a mini-me, but she's at that age where she'd much rather be chatting to her friends online or talking on the phone or listening to music in her room.  I didn't reach that age until I was about 14 - but times have changed, I guess.  Kids are getting older much sooner.  I've tried my best to adapt, so when an opportunity like sharing a hobby comes in to play?  I'm on it like white on rice.

The entire evening, she sat with me on the couch learning how to crochet.  We laughed about some of the creations that were being made before her eyes...it was her first time, there was some wild creations expected.  She was wrapped up in the blanket with me...and I could have held that spot in time forever.

It was special, that's for sure.  That's not to discount my other two children.  The difference is, Jelly snuggles with me on the couch many times per day.  Butter will come snuggle with me many evenings with his PSP in hand....he tries to play it cool, but I know what he's doing.  Peanut is different.  She's me through and through.  I was never much of a snuggler or an affectionate person growing up.  Don't get me wrong, I loved my parents... but curling up with them on the couch?  Urm.  No.  So, that's why it was so special to have that couple of hours where I had the little, affectionate version of Peanut back.

She's dabbled around with the crocheting the past couple of days, but just like her mother she has the patience of a flea.  She wants to be able to make things, like scarves, right now...and just doesn't understand that it takes a little practice before being able to start making stuff.  I know just how she feels, so I'm being supportive.  I'm trying to assure her that just a couple of days of practice and she'll be throwing scarves out in no time.  

She's even mentioned how she wants to help me make stuff so that we can sell them - and have our own little store, of sorts.  Isn't she sweet? A Mommy & Me crochet boutique would be great....I'm on board!!

OK, so I better get myself in gear if I plan on finishing up the gloves, finishing all of the wrapping, and cleaning my house in preparation for Santa's arrival - he won't come if the house is a mess...the kids are fully aware of this.  It's amazing how quickly they spring in to gear the day before Christmas Eve to clean the house...wish there was a way I could get this kind of cleaning excitement the rest of the year.

Today will be a long day - it always is.  I've managed to concoct ways of keeping the kids plenty busy on Christmas Eve - but Christmas Eve Eve?  That's a lot harder.  Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Everyone have a great Friday!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!