Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Yesterday was a really rough day for me.  Mentally.  I had to take Jelly to the doctor for her pre-school wellness visit...and it just didn't go the way I thought it would.

A wellness visit, in my mind, is a doctor making sure everything is developing correctly.  Checking ears, eyes, throat, height, weight, mobility...you know, the basic stuff.  They did all that stuff.  My four year old child is 47" tall (3 ft. 7 in) and weighs 48lbs.  She's basically the average size of a 6 year old, according to her doctor.  But, her weight and height are aligned perfectly.

But then, they always surprise me with the word that causes all mothers to cringe: "Shot".  Or in Jelly's case?  Three shots.  UGH!  Now, I'm not totally naive to the fact that my kid is going to need shots - but I really thought that the shots were going to happen at the Kindergarten wellness check..not the pre-k check.  I was totally caught off guard with that.  And thank goodness I hadn't told Jelly she wouldn't be getting any shots.

Not only that, but Jelly also had to have a lead poison test.  Which is just a finger stick test - but still pretty traumatic for a four year old.  I have always had the belief that it's better to prepare my children when they have to get shots.  I don't believe in trying to surprise them or hide it from them.  And, Jelly was very appreciative of my gesture.  We discussed the process for the finger stick - and she seemed to be very curious of the whole process.

Then, the nurse came in.  Jelly kept her composure - and verified with the nurse that what I had told her was indeed what would happen.  The nurse looked a little surprised that a 4 year old was questioning him on the process of a finger stick test.  But, he answered all of Jelly's questions and assured her that what I had told her would be happening.

And Jelly was a trooper.  She had the finger stick without so much as a jump.  I felt so relieved that Jelly had made it through so well...that was until Jelly saw her own blood. 

While the nurse was squeezing drops of blood into the vile, Jelly started getting a little shaky.  She started telling me that her belly was hurting.  I thought it was just her nerves getting the best of her.  Then, the assisting nurse took one look at Jelly and went in to semi panic mode.  The nurse grabbed the closet card object and started fanning at Jelly.  I had no idea what was going on - because Jelly had her back to me because I was holding her for support.  When I caught a glimpse of Jelly's face - I could see why the panic had set in with the nurse.  Jelly was on the verge of passing out!

All of the color had drained from Jelly's face.  She was sweating - bad.  She was shaking a little.  My four year old was going to pass out from the sight of her own blood!  I have never seen anything like it.  The nurse squeezing her finger moved as quickly as he could, and once he was done - the other nurse went to work getting Jelly calmed down.  It was a very scary ordeal for me - so I can't imagine how Jelly was really feeling. 

After Jelly got her color back, and the wet paper towels had subsided the sweating, it was time for the dreaded shots.  My stomach twists in to knots when I have to hold my kids down for shots.  It's so traumatic for me - and I'm just the support.  Jelly was NOT happy.  First shot went in, Jelly started crying.  Second shot went in, Jelly looked at me to save her from the torture that was being unleashed.  By the third and final shot, I was teared up - and Jelly was crying those big, deep, "I'm in so much pain" cries.  I was so ready to get out of there.

Thankfully, it only took Jelly about 30 seconds to stop crying and get back to the sweet, funny, full of attitude thing that she is. 
Now, she's done with shots for a while.  She won't even need the kindergarten shots, now.  Phew!

And just when you thought about giving me the Mother of the Year award for being so brave and supportive?  Yeah, hold that thought.  I totally told her that she couldn't go with me today to work in my classroom because she needs to rest her legs after having the shots.  DOH! 

I know it's wrong to lie to my children.  You don't have to tell me.  But, I really need a day in the classroom to get some serious work done.  In fact, I need several days - but I had to come up with something to help me out today.  The poor girl looked so pitiful when she asked if she could come with me.  I just didn't have the heart to tell her that she couldn't go because she gets in to everything, gets bored too easily, and basically drives me nuts while I'm stressing over where to put what in the classroom.

So, even though I believe it's totally wrong to lie to my children - sometimes I just gotta do what I gotta do.  She'll be OK, I'm sure.  She'll just use the excuse I gave her to soak up some serious attention today, I'm sure of that. 

Speaking of which, I need to get going so that I can head to MO to visit my new classroom - with all the wonderful new accesories I bought yesterday to decorate with.  Oh yea!
Till next time. :)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

2 comments:

  1. What? Your lead test is a finger prick? NO FAIR!! Aubrey had to get a regular blood draw from hers! That was not fun at all. Aubrey also had 3 shots, but where we go its kinda nice, they have several nurses, so they all grabbed a shot and counted to 3 and stuck her with them all at the same time. No freaking out in between waiting from one shot to the next. Its wham bam thank you ma'am. Aubrey cried a whimper as they did it, but as soon as they were done she was ok. I was so stressed out about all this stuff, the shots, tb test, and lead test. Poor kids have to go through so much. I know its for a good reason, but dang!! Aubrey doesn't need any shots now until 6th grade, thank god!! I'm assuming its the same for Jelly? I hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - Poor Jelly & poor mama!!! That sounds like a nightmare :( So sorry you guys had to go through all that unexpected torture.

    And for what it's worth, she probably really did need to rest after all that trauma. So you didn't lie. :)

    Hope you got some work done ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!