Saturday, July 28, 2012

So Much Time, So Little to Do...No, Wait, That's Not Right

Peanut and I spent another full day working hard in my classroom, yesterday.  When I step in to my classroom, I can definitely notice the differences.  With just adding the features to my bulletin boards and unstacking all the desks and chairs - it definitely looks like some serious progress has been made.

But, even after being in the classroom for three days, I just don't feel like I've accomplished that much - and there is still so much to be done.  Now, all of the bulletin boards are done, the desks have their name plates, I've finished up laminating my calendar numbers and getting those put up.  It's all little stuff.  I still haven't unpacked any of the four million boxes I have laying around.  I haven't placed one book in to my library area.  And I still haven't even finished putting the furniture where I want it.  And that's just more surface stuff - there's still a lot more to do on top of that.

Thankfully, I still have a full week and four days to finish everything up.  I figure that's plenty of time.  Peanut and I will be hitting it hard next week - every single day - to get all the stuff taken care of.  Plus, on Wednesday morning, I'll have an idea on what the first quarter will look like - in terms of the content I'll be teaching - so I can decorate accordingly for that.

It's definitely a mixed bag of emotions that I'm feeling right now.  Of course I'm ecstatic about being in my own classroom, making it my own, and feeling the rush of accomplishment.  But, I'm also starting to feel the nerves.  In a little over two weeks, twenty children will be walking in to my room - and I have to be ready for them... both physically and mentally.  Children smell fear, so that's something I have to squash before then.

I think that once I start writing my lesson plans for the first week, and get a sense of what our year will look like - in terms of the subjects we'll be teaching, how we'll be teaching them, etc. - I will feel so much better.  I will be in more control.  Cause, at the end of the day, the lack of my control is what's getting to me.  Not knowing something is like an OCD mechanism for me.  If I don't know, I get panicked, stressed, and anxiety starts to rush in.

On top of preparing for twenty kids that I don't even know, I'm also trying to prepare my own three children for their new adventure.  I received their enrollment packets and school supply lists, yesterday.  It's weird being in the middle of teacher and parent.  On one hand I wonder why on earth the kids need so much stuff.  Then, on the other hand, I realize how much money I've already spent on classroom staples - and having the kids bring supplies with them is a huge relief.  My purse strings will have to be kept a little tighter over the next few weeks if I have any chance of affording all the stuff they need for school, Jelly's enrollment fees for daycare, and my own things I still need in my classroom.  It's daunting - but this is what I've been waiting for, so I most certainly won't complain.

Changing subjects just a little - I am happy to report that I drank MUCH more water yesterday.  In fact, it's all I drank.  I also ate better all day.  In doing this for one day, I saw a drastic change on the scale this morning than what I saw a few days ago.  I'm still not where I wanted to be this week, but I'm not too far in the other direction, either. 

I am starting to understand how important being mindful really is.  Just because I can't exercise as much doesn't mean I can't still lose weight with proper nutrition.  Heck, I know this because back before spring break I managed to lose 8lbs in one week - just by eating clean 100% the entire week.  If I remember that going in to this next week - then maybe, just maybe I'll be where I want to be come weigh in time next Sunday.

Alright, gotta run.
Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!