Monday, July 02, 2012

So...I Went to the Gym...

Don't get too excited.  

It was once. 

I'm not about to start declaring that all my slacking is forgiven, my fight is back, and all that other stuff I say far too much of.

But, I did go yesterday.

After I finished writing my blog, I went straight to my room, put on my gym gear, woke up my brother, and we went.

No time to think about it.  No time to question if I wanted to go or not.  I just did it.

My brother and I hit the 30 minute circuit training...and it took all of 1 minute to realize how out of shape I've gotten and how hard the whole 30 minutes were going to be.

But I didn't quit.

I pushed through the pain.  

I had to.

After 30 minutes of lifting weights and light cardio, it was straight to the elliptical for 25 minutes.

That was hard.

Really hard.

My legs didn't want to move.

But I made them.

I pushed through by watching Redneck Island on the TV.  

Have ya'll seen that show?  Funny.  Stupid.  Distracting.

So, yeah, I went to the gym.  And I felt pretty good once it was all said and done.  Having my brother next to me the entire time really helped motivate me.  He's only 15, but he doesn't look it.  He's 6' tall and weighs about 220lbs.  He lifts weights like they are marshmallows, so it felt like I almost had a personal trainer breathing down my neck to keep going. 

This morning, I'm a little sore.  Not as much as I thought I'd be... which I'm actually disappointed about.  In my mind, the more sore I am means the harder I worked.  But, for my first visit to the gym in 3 months - I did push myself pretty hard.

This whole month of July, I can take a guest with me to work-out.  My brother wants that spot - but he's only here until tomorrow.  Then Peanut has vowed to pick up that extra spot and go with me.  

While we were working out yesterday, my brother made the comment that if he had a gym membership (and lived closer) the gym would be his second home.  He'd be there all the time.  I didn't doubt his words at all.  I know without a shadow of a doubt that my brother would spend several hours at a gym every day if he had the chance.  My youngest sister, too.  They are both athletic like that.  Not sure what happened to me.  But the comment stuck with me.

Here I am, paying for a gym membership every month, and hardly going.  It makes no sense.  Especially since I've been home since June 15th.  And now I'm down to only a month left before I have to go back to work.  But this month is special because I can take someone with me to work-out.  Someone that can hold me accountable.  

I have this strange inkling that it will make a difference.

I enjoyed our time at the gym yesterday.  Laughing at each other.  Supporting each other.  

I know that it will be the same when Peanut is with me.  She'll make it a competition.  She'll want to out-exercise me.  She has her mother's competitive spirit.  And that's exactly what I need.  

Today, the kids want to go bowling.  I think throwing heavy balls down a galley is a bit of added upper body work.  My arms definitely need it.

And tomorrow, we'll be spending the day in the pool for 4th of July festivities.  And, yes, I know it's the 3rd tomorrow - but that's the day my family is all getting together to celebrate.  

There will be no gym tomorrow or Wednesday (gym is closed), but I'll at least be getting some physical activity in.

Again, I will say that after one visit to the gym, I'm not ready to declare that everything is now going to change.  All I can say is that I'll take one day at a time.  No promises.  Each day it will be up to me whether or not I feel like making the day count, or letting it waste away.  And then, there's no one left to blame but myself.

I have four full weeks before I will start working on my classroom and preparing to start my new job.  That's not a lot of time, and a lot of time.  I can still make some impact.  Even if it's only 5lbs, it's a start.  But, I have the ability to do more... if I set my mind to it.

So, each day will be a new beginning.  I'll either go in one direction or another.  

One direction leads to certain success.  The other leads to certain doom.  In terms of my weight loss.  

It's a new adventure.  One that will no doubt have twists and turns, triumphs and tribulations.  But it's most definitely time to write a brand new chapter to my story.

As of this morning, I weighed 254.4lbs.  

That's the most sickening, saddest number to see.  It makes me angry, sad, and frustrated.  But, I did that.  Every pound.  To myself.

There's only one direction I want that number to go... but my actions are the only thing that can affect it.  

So here goes...

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you went! :) And I bet you and Peanut will get yourselves into a good little routine. You will have fun, bond, laugh, sweat and get yourself all pumped up to have a great 1st year teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time is all you have control over. This is a good plan!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!