Saturday, November 24, 2012

Finished, Finito, Fin...Stick a Fork in Me, I'm DONE!



With four weeks left to spare, I have officially completed my Christmas shopping.  OK, almost completed.  There's still a few more minuet things I have to get - but the bulk is done.  Finished.  Over with.  What's left is family members... and the kids like to do that part of the shopping, so my job is just about done.

I tell you what, I whine and complain about the craziness of Black Friday - but I had the most wonderful Christmas shopping day EVA yesterday.  Hubby and I waited until noon before heading out to the hustle and bustle - and didn't get home until after 6pm.  We shopped, and shopped, and shopped some more.

The best part of the day, by far, was stumbling across tons and tons of leftover Black Friday goodies that hadn't been snatched up during the midnight madness sales.  Once again, I patted myself on the back for not getting up at the butt crack of dawn or staying up all night to shop for stuff - when I still managed to find some great deals during the afternoon.  Even some of the big TVs and stuff were still on sale in the stores - not that I had any intention of buying one, but I was surprised to still see so many electronics still on sale. 

Christmas shopping is usually a task I take on alone.  Hubby just isn't in to the whole thing.  His job each Christmas is to sit, Christmas morning, with camera in hand ready to capture the kids opening up the gifts.  That's it.  I do the lists, the shopping, the wrapping, the everything.   But this year?  This year has been different.  He's been involved, a great help, shared the load of the shopping.  And I couldn't have been happier. 

Now, of course, the worst part starts.  The waiting.  I hate waiting until Christmas after my shopping is done.  I'm worse than the kids.  Once I've done my shopping, I want it to be time for the kids to get their stuff. 

It's been very weird this year, talking to Peanut and Butter about Christmas.  This is the first year where I went in knowing full well that neither of them believed in Santa anymore.  And I'm happy to report that neither of them are scarred or hurt or hate me because they felt like I lied to them for all these years.  In fact, I think they are a little disappointed in the "magic" being over.  I have molded my kids in the same form as me - just because I know the truth, doesn't mean I have to accept it.  I can still bring Santa in to our home.  Besides, there's Jelly to think about.  We have to keep the magic alive for her - and now Peanut and Butter can join in for her sake.

It was just very weird for us to come home yesterday and know that Peanut and Butter knew that there was Christmas loot in the trunk of the car.  Which makes life kinda difficult, because now that they know the truth - they know that their presents are somewhere hidden in the house.  They will have to be watched at all times to make sure they don't try and snoop.  Which I really hope they don't - because in my mind, the whole point of Christmas is the surprise factor.  Why ruin the surprise by trying to find out what you're getting before you get it?

Jelly is, of course, oblivious.  To her, when Daddy and I disappear, we are going to meet with Santa's helpers to inform him of their Christmas lists.  It takes a long time because we have to wait in line to be able to meet with them.  Oh yes, I have Santa answers for everything.  In fact, last year I wrote a list of the Santa stories I've told. 

She is so excited about everything.  In just a week and a half it will be her birthday.  I can't believe my baby will be turning five.  Then, there's only twenty days until Christmas.  The kid loves this time of year - there's just so much going on for her. 

Anywho, today I'm basking in my victory of being finished with the shopping.  I'm going to relax, lay on the couch, and catch up on some crocheting.  Tomorrow?  Peanut and I are off to see Breaking Dawn Part II.  We've been waiting all year for it... and it will be a great way to end the Thanksgiving Break.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Go girl! You are so organized! I started my shopping today! Two gifts off the list and all my wrapping materials! Gonna attack it properly next week! You so sound so happy, its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!