Thursday, November 08, 2012

Thanksgiving Thankful Thursday - Part I


Welcome to the first installment of a three part series of Thanksgiving Thankful Thursday!  Today, and the next two Thursdays, I'm going to list ten things that I'm thankful for - giving me 30 things - being the same amount as if I were to do a daily thankful blurb on Facebook.  Which is really what all this is about.  I've seen so many people do a daily thanks status update, that I wanted in on the action... but knew that I wouldn't keep up with doing it each day.

So, I've given myself the challenge of doing lists....

1.  I am thankful for my children.  Each will earn their own spot on the list at some point, but combined there's so much to be thankful for.  Together, they teach me the value of patience.  They have taught me that my patience level way exceeds the realm of "normal".  I have now managed to teach myself how to tune those babies out for a really long time when they are arguing and fighting and bickering over stupid stuff.  They have taught me how much I love my hair - and that it's not worth pulling it out.  They put true meaning to the phrase "three's a crowd", but can then defy that statement in a blink of an eye - when on the occasional moments they are all getting along just fine.  But most of all, they have taught me that no matter how much they fight or get on my nerves... I love them all unconditionally... and that one day, I hope they have kids just like them.  HA!

2.  I am thankful for Hubby.  Or should I say, his ability to cook.  I could create an entire list on the reasons I'm thankful for him.  On top of that list would be the fact that I'm so thankful he likes to cook - so that I don't have to.  There's just nothing better than coming home from a long day at work and having a wonderful dinner, prepared homemade from Hubby's hands.  He is the bomb diggaty in the kitchen.  And, like my three children, he will have other spots on this list..at some point.

3.  I am thankful that after a very long search, and months of sadness and dismay, I was able to find a job in what I believe to be the best school eva!  The culture and hominess of my school is just something I haven't experienced anywhere else.  I feel part of the team.  I feel like I belong.  I feel like a valued and important piece of the school community - and that my efforts are being recognized and appreciated.  It's feelings like these that label the "everything happens for a reason" statement.  Yes, there were other schools I wanted to work for - because I'd had experience in those schools.  But, at the end of the day, I was taught a very valuable lesson...that good things come to those that wait.  Boy, aren't I a bag full of sayings this morning!

4.  I am thankful for my cat, Katniss.  She was the first thing I got for myself after being offered my job.  She was my reward, my little something to treat myself.  Despite saying I never wanted another pet, after having to give away my beloved dog Asia - I am so glad I didn't keep myself to that.  I loved Asia, but I can now say that I have never had a pet that was more loving or better suited for me than Katniss.  She cuddles with me, she comes when I call her, and she doesn't make any mess in the house.  Oh, and she gets triple bonus points for the fact that Hubby adores her too.  

5.  I am thankful for my health.  I have had my shares of ups and downs in terms of my weight situation.  And while I am much heavier than I was a couple of years ago... and I let all of my hard work of losing so much weight fall to the wayside.. I'm still healthy.  It was my goal to be able to stand on my feet for 7 hours a day and not feel pain.  I wanted to be able to play with my students when the opportunities arose.  I wanted to be full of energy each day.  And even though the number on the scale doesn't align with what I thought I needed to have in order to make those things happen... I've somehow managed to do it.  Yes, I'm exhausted each day when I come home - but I'm active and energetic when I'm at work, and that's the important part.

6.  I am thankful for Hangin' with Friends and SongPop.  Two games that I have on my iPhone.  They are a small slice of fun that I can have - that only takes a few moments of my day.  They keep my brain challenged in a fun way - that's separate from the classroom... and give me just a few minutes each day to act like a total kid and just play silly games.

7.  On that same note, I'm thankful for my Hangin' with Friends buddy.  He's the only person I play the game with - but we have a lot of fun together.  He happens to be a friend of the family, so it's always funny to send each other silly notes when we're playing.  He gives me a small sense of being around friends, even when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV. 

8. I am thankful for Blogger.  This little tidbit of the Internet has brought me so much in the past few years.  I have been able to record the events of my life as they've taken place.. be good or bad.... without it costing me a single penny.  Yeah, Facebook is great, Twitter is meh, but Blogger?  This is my social media outlet.  This is where I belong.  This is where I can be myself, say what I want, and then go back and remember it all over again.  While I have struggled with discovering who I am as a blogger, one thing has always remained the same:  I blog what I have to say, and if someone doesn't like it - they can go elsewhere.  

9.  I am thankful that I have gone through so many struggles in my 30 years of being on this earth.  Yep, you heard me... I am thankful for the struggles.  While my life isn't some constant heartbreaking tale of trials and tribulations, I've had my fair share of ups and downs.  Teenager problems with my parents, being a run-away, teen pregnancy, abusive partner, homelessness... they've all been a part of my life story.  And even though they have been some pretty horrible experiences - I wouldn't change a single one.  Why?  Because each of those things have made me the person I am today.  I am strong, I am passionate, I am devoted - all because of the struggles I've had to go through to get me here.  My experiences and hardship in life has given me powerful ammunition to use against the kids that will come through my classroom.  They have given me tools to use with my own children.  I have become the partner, mother, and teacher I am because of those hardships - and I just wouldn't be the awesome person I am today without them.

10.  I am thankful that I am able to come up with a list of thirty things to be thankful about.  Even though this is the last thing on this week's list, I am excited and ready for the next two installments.  I thought that coming up with thirty things would be difficult.. but then I realized I could probably do this for months.  There's just so much good I have in my life - and so much to be thankful for.  I've only just started and I haven't even gotten to some of the juicier stuff - like each of my kids, or my family.  And while they aren't on this list, it doesn't mean that they are less important.  This list.. all three parts... are in no specific order of importance.  I'm deliberately mixing it up.  And while several parts of this overall list may seem a little insignificant to some - they are very important to me.  In fact, I'm now worrying if I'll be able to have enough room for all of the things I want to talk about. 


There you go.  One part down, two to go.  Now, I must go get ready for work.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!