Monday, November 19, 2012

Just Two More Days to Get Through

I did not want to get out of bed this morning.  Mostly because I knew that today and tomorrow were probably going to be the longest, most exhausting days I've worked thus far.

I know how kids are right before a holiday.  Thanksgiving isn't near as bad as Christmas, but they are still going to be pretty crazy excited - emphasis on crazy.

They are going to expect to not have to do anything for these two days, because it's right before a break - and kids are programmed to think that going to school a day or two before a break means that they're not supposed to actually do any work. 

I can't blame them.  I kinda feel that way right before a holiday and/or break too.  But, just like me - they are going to have to suck it up.  Because there are still assignments to do, things to learn.  Luckily, I was able to package all of our objectives in to cute little Thanksgiving templates.  Well, let me correct that.  I was able to steal some cute Thanksgiving stuff from my mentor that I'm able to package in to our objectives. 

The kids may be programmed to not want to do any work before a holiday, but they are also programmed to believe that if I slap on a holiday picture to a page full of math problems, or make them write about Thanksgiving, or make them read a story about the first Thanksgiving and then answer comprehension questions about the reading - that they're not actually doing "work" but enjoying holiday stuff instead.  Gotta love a child's brain!

I managed to get all of my Thanksgiving food yesterday - among the hustle and bustle of Thanksgiving food shoppers.  Every year I whine and complain about people waiting until the weekend right before a holiday to do their shopping - and then smack myself in the head when I realize I'm one of those people. 

We decided to make a run to Sam's for a few things - and happened to notice that they were having their "Taste of the Holidays" samplings.  My kids LOVE going to Sam's just because there's always sample carts out letting them try stuff.  I'm pretty sure my kids would eat fried flies if it came off of one of those carts. 

What I couldn't believe were the lines of people waiting to sample a piece of ham or a scoop of pie or a bite of steak.  Yes.  Lines.  Like something you would see at a movie theater the weekend a new Twilight movie is coming out.  It was ridiculous.  I like sampling food as much as the next person, but I'm not willing to wait 10 minutes in a line to do so.  And then I end up getting all frustrated because I'm patiently waiting in line with everyone else, and then I spot a line jumper who just moseys on up to the front of the line and gets a sample - despite the fact that there's 20 people in LINE in front of them. 

The kids and I made a game out of trying to find the sample carts that had the smallest wait times.  We were still able to try a few things - but apparently missed out on the sample of gold that was being handed out at some carts.  Which is what had to be passed out seeing that many people waiting.  A couple of times we were behind one person, and then found out that she'd brought along her entire family - who were waiting close by - so that they could all get their samples while the kids and I patiently waited for her to hand out stuff to the 15 people waiting for her.  Frustrating, I tell you!

I was pretty happy that we were able to get out of there pretty quick - to the disappointment of the kids who would have spent their entire day standing in lines to try the tiny morsels of whatever was being handed out. 

We made a pit stop at P-Momma's house so that we could pick up her turkey roaster.  Hubby likes cooking the turkey in that so that I have the oven to cook all of my stuff.  Yes, I said "my stuff".  Thanksgiving is the one day of the year that I not only cook, but enjoy doing it.  It's a big deal.  I strap on my Stepford Wives apron - metaphorically speaking - and spend the day in the kitchen preparing, and measuring, and stirring, and checking. 

Anywho, back to yesterday.

We made it to the store to get all of our "fixings".  I spent way too long picking out a ham.  Thanksgiving dinner is very important to me, but not important enough for me to shell out $30 on a ham.  Nope, I have to hunt down the cheap hams, rummage around a bit, until I find "the one".  Which I found. A 8lb ham for $10?  Don't mind if I do.

We ended up spending about $35 for the meal.  Which I guess isn't too bad.  Especially since this year it will be just us five - and that amount of food is sure to last us all the way in to the weekend.  So, I look at it as we spent $35 on three days worth of food.  That's not bad at all.  Yes, we are going to be sick of the sight of ham and turkey for a few weeks after it's all said and done, but that's a part of the magic that is Thanksgiving.  We just get over our distaste for turkey and ham just in time for Christmas to roll around.

Alright, I really need to stop talking about all of this - cause it's not helping me with facing the fact that I have to go to work for the next two days. 

Toodles!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!