Friday, November 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Part II... and a day late


Welcome to my second installment of Thankful Thursday - a list of thirty things (ten each week) that I'm thankful for and recognizing due to the Thanksgiving holiday.  I apologize for it being a day late.  It figures that the one day I'm ready to go with a blog post - and know exactly what I want to write about - my internet decides to bite the dust.  So, I know it's Friday, but I'm totally going to pretend it's Thursday just for this special post.  Just like last week, I'll be mixing the deep with the not so deep... cause I know that not everyone wants to read just emotional stuff. 

11.  I'm thankful for my little Jelly.  Despite growing up so fast, she still makes me realize that she's the youngest which automatically entitles her to the role of my baby for much longer than I was expecting.  And last night, a day after writing my soppy post about how much she was growing up, she curled up on the couch with me because she wasn't feeling so good.  She made me realize that she may be turning in to a big girl before my eyes - but she's not going to outgrow the fact that mommy makes her feel better when she's not feeling well...and that won't change for a very long time.  She reminds me constantly how much she loves me, she always knows the best time to say things like "You're the beautifulist mommy in the whole world" or "I love you so much, Mom".  And I love her very much.  As much as I love her and wouldn't trade her for the world - she has definitely helped remind me on occasions why I never want any more babies.  And, I honestly think that's a part of her plan.  HA!

12.  I'm thankful for my Butter.  Butter has and still faces many challenges.  For a boy of only 11, he's been through more than many adults.  And while he's still working hard every day to face continual challenges, he's grown more and learned more than I could ever put in to words.  He's not the boy he was a year ago.  His ability to adapt and thrive in his new surroundings is purely something of a miracle.  Change is something Butter doesn't usually handle too well, but he's shown me that starting his life over - getting a fresh start - really means a lot to him.  He's making good grades, he's got lots of friends, he adores his teacher, and those are things I would never get the chance to say about Butter.  While there are still days that are better than others, he's really taught me so much about being a better parent, being a better teacher, and being a better person.  The students that come in to my classroom with challenges - both behaviorally and emotionally - have him to thank for how I treat them.  They thrive with me because he's shown me how to care for them, how to motivate them, and how to love them.  And while I'm constantly trying to build him up, I realize that most of the time - he's the one building me up.

13.  I'm thankful for my Peanut.  In a matter of a year, I've watched my little girl turn in to a beautiful young woman.  There's so much of me in that girl, that I sometimes feel like I've stepped in to a time machine and get to watch my younger days played over again.  Her personality, her wit, and her drive are all inherited from me - and I'm happy about that.  What I'm most thankful for, though, is the fact that even though she's turning in to a young woman - she will talk to me, share her life with me, and allows me to be a solid part of her world.  If she's having a problem, she knows she can come to me and I'll help any way I can.  If she just needs to vent, she knows she can do that.  Having that bond is so important to me - and I never want to lose it.  Peanut has done so much for me the past few years, that it's so important for me to show her how thankful I am.  She takes care of Jada when I need her to, she does her chores, she keeps up with homework and extra studies.  And while she also has her days that are better than others - she keeps a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart.. always.

14.  I'm thankful for Hubby.  And not just his cooking.  I've never met any man in my entire life quite like him.  I truly feel like I live with my best friend.  I can talk to him about anything and everything.  I hate that we don't get to spend as much time together as I'm used to - but the time we do spend together is happy and harmonious.  He keeps me grounded, he reminds me of the important things in life, and man.. can that guy cook!  I really am having a hard time putting in to words how much he means to me - and that's because there just aren't words to fully express how much I love him.

15.  I am thankful for the internet.  Even though I was really upset yesterday morning when I didn't have internet and couldn't get on here to write this list, I really don't know what I'd do without it.  It keeps me in touch with my passion for writing, allows me to find answers to questions, keeps me connected to long lost family member and friends - without the cost of a huge phone bill or actually having to talk to them.  And while technology often gets a bad rap - the internet is a world of discovery and tools right at my finger tips.  It makes my job as a teacher easier, that's for sure.

16.  I am thankful for fuzzy fleece pajamas.  Whoever came up with these need to be kissed.. many times over.  Putting on a pair of fleece pajamas is like putting on a blanket for me to walk around in.  They keep me so warm and comforted.  And while I love curling up in a blanket when relaxing on the couch - my fuzzy PJs keep me feeling that way no matter where I am or what I'm doing in my house.  

17.  I am thankful for coffee.  Well, to say that I'm thankful for coffee is a HUGE understatement.  I love my kids and Hubby and my job and my family... but they are all able to love me back thanks to the beverage in my cup.  It's the first thing I turn to in the morning, and it's the last thing I hold on to before going to bed.  I just don't know what my life would be like without my coffee.  Wait, yes I do... and it's not something I ever want to think about again.  This time of year, my coffee is even more important because it keeps me warm and comforted with delicious seasonal coffee creamers... can you say heaven in a cup?  Life is better when there's a cup of coffee in my hand.

18.  I am thankful for the two teachers that work with me in 4th grade.  I really couldn't have asked for better mentors or friends.  It's really as though everything I could ever have wished for in cohorts were granted to me.  They make me laugh, they offer support, they give me confidence in taking risks, and never have they ever made me feel like "just a newbie".  Every day, I look forward to going to my classroom... and a lot of it have to do with them.  No matter what my day is like, I know that I can always walk in to one of their classrooms and know that everything is going to be OK.  

19.  I am thankful for the kids I get to teach this year.  Because as much as I'm teaching them, they are teaching me.  They offer me daily struggles and challenges to overcome.  They give me goals to work towards.  They have shown me that teaching is most definitely a calling - and one that I know I've been called for.  The kids that walk in to my classroom each day give me a purpose, a drive.  They are a reason that my job isn't a job - but a career.  I know that I will never forget their little faces no matter how many years I stay a teacher.  I love each and every one of them.

20.  I am thankful that there's only a couple of days left to work before I get a nice five day weekend.  Even though I love my job, it's always nice to have a few days where I can just focus on family and relaxing.  I have no intention, anymore, of going to the Black Friday sales - so I'm just going to use the time off to spend time with my kids, get our Christmas stuff out, and enjoy the time for what it's meant for.

Next week will be my final installment.  I'll be sharing my thankfulness for my extended family, life lessons, and anything else that pops in to my head.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!