Saturday, November 03, 2012

Work Free Zone Up Ahead

Oh yes, boys and girls... I totally mean it.  Today is a complete WORK FREE ZONE.  I'm not going to do anything work related today.  Which, even though I've made that statement before, has never really happened since becoming a teacher.  I always find something to dabble with - be it lesson plans, or finding ideas, or grading.  But not today!

So, does that mean I have no work to do?  Don't be silly.  Of course not.  A teacher's work is never done.  I have a few plans to write, a couple of book study packets to write up... you know, the normal stuff... but I'm giving myself the day off - and I refuse to think about what I need to get done.

I managed to get a good night's sleep last night without being woken up by cats at the butt crack of dawn this morning.  And that was because I slept on the couch.  No, Hubby and I are fine.  Believe me, if we weren't, it would NOT be me sleeping on the couch.  HA!  No, I hurt my knee yesterday - and I figured it best to sleep on the couch so I would have limited movement.

How did I manage to hurt my knee?  Well, don't laugh if I tell ya.  While dropping off Jelly at school yesterday morning, I walked through the gate and as I turned to latch the gate, my left foot slipped off the side of the path... but my right leg didn't follow.  It stayed firmly planted on the ground causing a horrendous ripping sound to come from my knee...and just as horrendous sound to escape from my mouth as I screamed out in pain.  I had completely turned around while my right leg faced the opposite way - ultimately dislocating my knee cap.

Thankfully, because my knees are no longer probably functioning, it doesn't take much to pop my knee right back in to place.  Which is what I did... but you can imagine that there was some aftershock.  It felt OK a few minutes after it happened, but as the day wore on...and I was on my feet most of the day... the pain started to kick in around noon, and by the time I got home I could barely stand on it.

What made it worse was the fact that I put all of my weight on my left ankle, causing it to flare up and start hurting by the end of the day.  So, I was quite a sight when I got home and put a knee brace on my right knee and an ankle brace on my left knee.  I took the braces off after a couple of hours and then stayed on the couch until 9am this morning.

I feel much better now.  Swelling is gone from both my knee and my ankle, so I'm ready to enjoy my day off.  We are going to take a trip to P-Momma's house and visit with her for a while.  Then later this afternoon, we are going to take the kids to see Wrecking Ralph.  I've been excited to see this movie.  It will be the first movie we've ever taken Jelly to - and I hope she's able to sit still through the entire thing.  I'm sure she will.

I have to get out of the house, because I know that if I stay in the house.. the work will slowly start to make it's way in to my head and the Work Free Zone will be nothing more than a good idea I had when I woke up.

So, out of the house I go...

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!