Saturday, July 06, 2013

I'm My Own Worst Enemy

As a teacher, when I think of summer break I think about spending about 6 weeks (cause that's really all we get off) sitting by the pool, lazing on the couch, taking afternoon naps, and recharging my batteries for the new school year that will be here before I know it.

And for the most part, the past couple of summers have been that way.  

The year after I graduated from college and last summer the most I did was visit schools looking for a job.  I did spend a month at my parent's house last year, that was hardly considered relaxation, but I didn't do a whole lot of anything besides babysitting while I was there.

One thing I promised my kids this year was that we would have a fun summer.  The pool was going to be a big burden off my shoulders, but I had no idea that when I said we'd have a fun summer I meant I better get a planner started.. because it's the only way I could keep up with everything that's going on.

Now, for the first 2 1/2 weeks of summer break, I didn't do a whole lot besides unpack and savor moving in to our new house.

Then, summer school started and the next two weeks were completely occupied with that.

Summer school has been out for a week...and since then, my days have all crammed together because I've had so much going on.

Last week... 

Saturday, I went and played bingo with my mom.

Sunday, Hubby and I went and did grocery shopping, got all the fishing stuff I needed, and collected my brother.

Monday, I took my brother and Butter fishing.  All day.

Tuesday, I went and picked up Jelly and took my brother home to Oklahoma.  On top of running from Arkansas to Missouri and back again.  And spending two hours that morning doing yard work.

Wednesday, Hubby and I took the girls to go and watch fireworks in Missouri.

Thursday, we had all the family over for the 4th extravaganza.

Yesterday, my family left (leaving behind my nephew for the weekend) and I drove to Oklahoma to pick up Peanut's friend who's spending the weekend with us.  With a detour to my parent's house to drop off stuff and pick stuff up.

Today, I'm taking the girls and Peanut's friend to dinner and then on to watch more fireworks in the town I teach.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Peanut's friend and my nephew home.

Can you say crazy busy?

There have been no naps.  No lounging in the pool to relax.  No spending the entire day in my jammies and not doing a darn thing.  Every.  Single.  Day.  Something has been going on.

And truthfully?  I'm exhausted!!

My only saving grace is that I have two days with no plans this upcoming week.  That would be Monday and Tuesday.  Which will probably change, because Tuesday I really need to go and have the oil in my car changed.

Next Wednesday, my brother and sister are coming to stay.

Thursday, P-Momma and I are taking all of the kids to the fancy new water park that's opened up close to us.

Friday, I have my niece's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's.

Saturday, we're throwing Peanut's first annual pool party.

Sunday, I'm taking all of Peanut's friends home that stayed from the party.

I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to schedule a day off amidst all this crazy, busy fun stuff.

But, truth be told, I'm not going to complain (too much).  As Hubby keeps reminding me, I'm the one making all of these plans.  I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to stuff like this.  As much as I would love to spend a few days doing absolutely nothing... I never end up actually doing that.  I end up getting antsy and feeling like I need to be doing something to keep the kids occupied.

I have about 4 weeks left until I have to start thinking about heading back to work to get my classroom ready for the new school year.  I'm pretty sure I'll have time to rest at some point... but there's just so much I want to do.

I still need to think about hosting my 4th grade team at my house for a day of catching up and relaxing by the pool.

I still need to think about hosting an evening with my college friends so they can come and see the house.

I still need to think about the camping weekend my kids and parents want to have.

And let's not forget all the friends and boyfriends that need to come over and spend some time swimming with the kids.  OK, so there's only one boyfriend... but still.

Oiy!

That's what summer is really all about though, right?  It's a nice fantasy to think that teachers do nothing more than sleep late and lay on the couch all summer long... but that's not the case at all.  Not for this teacher, anyway.  

First and foremost, I'm a parent.  And having the luxury to have the summers with my kids means a lot to me.  For the past several years, I've made promises to my kids that once Momma got a teaching job.. our lives would be different.  We could enjoy our summers.  Do stuff they've always wanted to do.  Stay busy having our own little adventures.

We may not be able to afford fancy vacations to far off places, but I can darn well make sure that there time home is enjoyable.  There's so much to do around our neck of the woods.  Who says we can't have a great vacation right here? 

We have the pool.  We have a basketball goal.  We have a huge backyard perfect for volleyball and horseshoes.  We have a lake a quick drive away.  We have fancy new water parks.  We have friends and family close by.  

Our new home is the perfect Staycation resort!

That is if we actually got to spend much time here.  HA!

But the point is, I may be exhausted.  I may be craving just a few days of nothing but a few good movies and my couch.  I may just want some peace and quiet.  But, I probably won't end up fixing any of those wants... and that's all my own doing.  

I'll get plenty of rest and relaxation one day... when my kids are all grown and off making their own adventures with their own families.  

Then, of course, I'll worry about my grandparent duties.

But, right now I'm OK with living a crazy, busy life.  It's just who I am and what I do.  I made a promise to my kids... and I plan on keeping that promise.  

No matter how tiring or hectic it may be.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!