Monday, September 27, 2010

Motivational Monday - Visual Aids

I tell ya, coming up with a post for today after the week I've just had was a little difficult.  Before I started, I decided to read some of my blog roll and see what motivation I could get from other bloggers.  Well, the first blog I visited did the trick.  The first blog belonged to MrsFatass.  Such a talented writer, and I love her blog because she's always so blunt.  She tells it like it is, has fun doing it, and can really help me put a smile on my face.  It just so happens that the title of her post this morning is "Inspiration". 

She talks about how she's been told many times how inspirational she is, and she sometimes struggles with hearing it.  I sat in front of the computer this morning thinking the same thing.  I have such amazing followers, and it's always nice hearing how "inspirational" I am - but I often question the statements.  I love that the words I share on this blog offer people inspiration and motivation, but what good does it do if I don't follow my own advice.  I never hesitate to share my successes with you all, but if I were to share the many days where I've emotionally eaten, thought about giving up on this whole thing, and how I offer advice that I rarely take myself - things might be a lot different around here.  Don't worry, trusty followers, this post today is not a "downer" - I'm getting to the motivation, I promise. 

Struggling to find what to write about on "Motivational Monday" is what gave me a wake-up call.  How can a weight loss blogger that has achieved so much gotten to a point where she struggles to be motivating?  It's this very question that perked me up, sent a swift kick to my caboose, and made me realize that it's time to get back to the "real me" - the me that thrives on helping people, reaching my goals, and a person willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish it.  OK, I've got some issues going on in my life at the moment - boo, hoo...everyone has days, weeks, and even months where things just don't go their way.  It's no excuse to swirl into "self pity" mode and sabotage the things that have taken so long to achieve.  So, my friends, I'm starting my week out with something I did with Grover yesterday...if I want it to work for him, it's only fair I try it out for myself...join me, maybe it works for you too.

My motivational plan for this week is "visual aids".  I'm not talking about pictures - I'm talking about a visual statement about whatever it is that you need reminding about.  There has been a lot of hype, lately, about a book called Operation Beautiful.  It's a book that urges readers to use Post-It notes as a way to build confidence and self esteem.  It suggests that these visual words of motivation and inspiration can have a powerful effect on one's thought process.  OK, so I haven't read the book - but I like the concept.  Yesterday, I told Grover that I was going to give him something this morning that would hopefully help focus him today - what is it?  An index card that says "I promised my mom" on one side, and "My mom loves me very much" on the other.  The plan is for him to carry the card with him today, place it on his desk, and keep it in sight at all times.  Maybe, just maybe, my little words of encouragement is something he needs to SEE while I'm not with him.

If I expect this to work for Grover, isn't it only fair that I try it out on myself?  I've been feeling crappy, lately - wallowing in self-pity, guilt, and other nasty feelings.  It's time for me to get out of my slump!!  So, this week, I'm going to take the Operation Beautiful challenge.  I have a nice, new package of Post-It notes ready - and my first note of the day?  "You are an amazing mother".  I need to hear that statement.  I need to see that statement.  It's the statement that I've questioned this past week, so it's only fair that it be my first boost to make this week a great one.  I've already thought of my second one, too: "It's time to get back to finishing what you started".  This statement carries a powerful message.  It's time I get back to working out.  It's time to get back to sticking to healthy foods.  It's time to get out of the slump I let myself fall into and dig my way out to be the positive, no-stress, happy-go-lucky person I prefer to be. 

So, my friends.  Who's with me?  Let's start this week out on a positive note (slight pun intended).  I asked you all yesterday to send positive vibes to Grover as he heads to school this morning - I ask that you do that all day.  Now, I also ask you to think about something positive you need to say about yourself.  Put it on a Post-It note, an index card, write it on a dry erase board - whatever is easiest for you - and look at it often.  Please share with me what you decided to write.  I want to go back to being the "inspiration" that so many of you have referred to me as being.  Make this step not just to satisfy my ego - but to get you started out this week on the right foot.

Till next time.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. The thing I wrote was "You are stronger than you give yourself credit for."

    Thank you for your posts, Joanna. And I hope Grover has a great day at school, and at home.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!