Thursday, September 30, 2010

Throwing it Out There

It's Thursday? Really?  Already?  Wow, how my weeks are flying by.  Before I get started on sharing my exciting "non weight loss" news, I have to tell you that I'm renaming Thursday.  I had previously named the topic for Thursday "Throw it Down".  After reading it and re-reading it, I've decided that it sounds too negative.  From now on, Thursdays will be known as Throw It Out There Thursdays.  That aligns more with me discussing things that aren't weight-loss related, without having automatic negativity plaguing it.  Yes, there is a good chance that many Thursdays will be a vent or rant - but not all of them.

Today, for example is not a vent or rant day.  Today is a good news day - because it's been a good news week!!  I will start with Grover, because he's been the highlight of my week thus far.  I posted a short blurb on Tuesday that Grover managed to get through Monday without any problems.  He did what he was asked, he completed all of this work, and he was respectful to the teachers and staff.  He was so excited when I got home - and I cried...because I was equally as excited and so happy for him.  Monday was a nerve racking day because I received no email, no correspondence...nothing from his school all day long.  That is very uncommon.  I stuck with the motto "no news is good news" but had sweaty palms all the way home to find out the result of his day.  When I found out the good news, I upheld my end of the bargain and Grover spent the entire evening right by my side.  He chatted with me while I worked, he sat next to me at dinner, he snuggled with me on the couch, and he helped me make dessert for the family.  He went to bed that night with a twinkle in his eye - and it was priceless.

Tuesday morning, I wrote Grover another card to take to school.  One side of the card read "I will use my coping skills.  I can do this!"  The other side read "my mom is so proud of me when I make good choices".  Tuesday, I did receive an email from his therapist - I was nervous opening it - but it was to tell me how WONDERFUL Grover had been.  YAY!!!!  It was also to tell me that they've decided to move Grover to the 5th-7th grade class.  I was a little nervous about how he might accept the change, but he was excited about it.  Another great moment when I got home as we cheered his success.

Yesterday, another card:  "I will show my new teacher how well I can behave" and "I love making my mom happy, it makes me very happy too".  When I got home yesterday, I had not received an email.  My palms were sweaty again, my heart was racing....I walk in and was greeted by a note from his new teacher...uh oh.  He looked at me, then looked at the ground - my heart sank.  I opened the note...he received his FIRST EVER 100% success for the day!! WOO HOO...WHOOPEEE....followed by a playful pinch telling him not to be such a stinker and scare me like that.  I felt kind of bad for him last night.  I had so much work I needed to finish that he didn't get to really have a fantastic fun-filled evening...but I don't have anything planned for tonight, so I think I will make it up to him.

He's been good for three days in a row.  Not just "better" he's actually been really good.  This is the first time in a VERY long time that he's been able to do that.  He did great over the summer, but that was different because there was no school work or "classroom structure" involved.  Everyone keep their fingers crossed that it continues.  I think the new class and new surroundings will be good for him.  He's going to be challenged more by having 5th grade work, and the structure of the classroom is much more age appropriate for him.

So, with running on this emotional high all week, it's been an amazing week.  I received more good news on Tuesday - I finally found out my second placement.  On October 20th, I will be moving from first grade to second grade.  I will be spending 18 weeks in the second grade class, and I'm very excited about it.  My new mentor teacher is very nice, and I think we will work very well together.

Now you see why I had to change the name of Thursday blog posts - what an amazing week it has been!!  When I'm having a good week, my mind is clear, my energy level is full, and life just goes more smoothly - just how I like it. 

Positive Note of the Day:
Be proud of the so many things you've accomplished, but never punish yourself for the things you haven't.  Those things will come, because you dedicate yourself to being the best you can be.

Till next time.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent!!! The challenge is to help him develop the ability to do what's right simply because he CAN do what's right! (And it's very obvious that he can, isn't it!) It's that old internal vs. external motivation thing (or intrinsic vs. extrinsic; I'm sure you've read about it in at least one of your courses...)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!