Sunday, November 13, 2011

It's Peanut, Butter, Jelly Time!!!



It's time for another installment of Peanut, Butter, Jelly Time.

This week, I asked for readers to submit some questions that I could pose to the kids.  Sadly, I only got two responses...so I came up with the rest of the questions.

I got a good response to the first PBJ time when I posed questions related to weight loss or health in general, so I decided to come up with a couple of questions for that.  I also decided that I want to pose some questions that were kind of fun...stuff they wouldn't have to think too hard about.

The weird thing was, when I asked the questions related to health they kids were on their game.  Their answers made sense, a little humorous.  I like the "out of the mouths of babes" feel I get when they answer questions like that.  However, once I got to the more "fun" type questions, their demeanor changed.  They struggled to answer the questions...not because they couldn't think of an answer but because they were constructing the right words to say.

I had to keep reminding them that I wanted them to say what they really felt....not what they thought other people wanted to hear.  Despite my pleas, they still struggled - big time.  Peanut is 11 and Butter is 10.  They should not have to sit and think about how to express their feelings on a subject - or use the phrase "no, wait, don't write that...what's a better way of saying it?"

Let me show you what I mean.

Here's the responses to this week's questions.....

1.  What's your favorite healthy food to eat?

Peanut - Yogurt.  I like fruit but don't like crunchiness.  I like it mixed up in creamy yogurt.  

Butter - Mine is pot roast because it has a lot of vegetables in it that taste better cooked in a pot roast.

Jelly - Cauliflower...cause it's like good.

OK, so far so good.

2.  When you grow up and have kids, are you going to be strict about their eating?

Peanut - Yes and no because I don't want to punish them by making them eat their vegetables, because then they will just hate vegetables.  I'm not about to let them eat junk food all the time either. 

Butter - Yes and no because it's OK for kids to have junk food sometimes but they also need to eat healthy so they can be healthy and stuff.

Jelly - Yes because they will eat vegetables like me.  I'm a kid.  I eat vegetables.

Makes sense...

3.  Dana from Illinois would like to know: If there was one thing you could change about your me [your mom], what would it be?

Peanut -  You weren't so grumpy.

Me - Can you elaborate on that?

Peanut - You wake up and you are usually grumpy or if something doesn't go right, you get mad or grumpy.  I would change the way you act when you're in a bad mood.  In fact, I would just make you nice all of the time.

Me - Do you think I'm grumpy a lot?

Peanut - Not a lot...well, in the mornings you are until you have your coffee.

Me - Ugh, here we go with the I have to have my coffee thing...

Peanut - It's so true, Mom...really...you have to have your coffee.  It's not just in the morning, though.  Sometimes you get mad about stupid stuff....I would change that.  Maybe you need to have coffee then, too.  **Giggles**

Butter - You not being so strict.  You're so strict about our bedrooms.

Me - By that do you mean that you'd rather me just let you keep it a mess?

Butter - Yes, because we get into trouble if our room isn't clean and we get grounded and stuff.

Me - So, wouldn't it be easier to just keep it clean so you didn't get in to trouble? *Smirk*

Butter - I guess, but I'd rather you just didn't care about it all.

Jelly  - Crystal

Me - What does that mean?  Is that a new name?

Jelly - Yes.

Me - Why would you change my name?

Jelly - Because.

I love how honest they were with this question.  

4.  What 5 things would you like Santa to bring you for Christmas?

Jelly - A real goat, a real baby that cries and pees in a diaper, like a bear, a car and a lamp.

Me - A real goat?

Jelly - Yep.

Me - Why a lamp?

Jelly - Just because I want one.

Peanut - New sneakers, skinny jeans, sunglasses, those sticker things you put on your nails to do a cool manicure, and an iPhone. 

Butter - Boots, jeans, cell phone, remote control car, and a new bike.

Sorry, chitlins, but Santa has already declared that there will be no delivery of cell phones to our house this Christmas.  He also has a strict "no livestock" rule too....so there will be no real goats under the tree either.

It's so sad that the best my kiddos could come up with were clothes type stuff... but that's only because they have everything else.  Yep, I'm one of those moms that have kids that are spoiled.  But, they don't really want for anything...they're not spoiled rotten - that I can live with.

Now, here is when things started getting a little awkward for the kids.  The next two questions seemed to be really hard for them to answer.  It left me scratching my head... but see what you make of it.

5.  Michelle from, urm, well, I'm not sure where she's from wants to know: Being that it's Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks, what 5 things are you thankful for?

Peanut - My friends at my new school because when I started at the school, it was awkward because I didn't know anybody - but they introduced themselves to me and they helped me.  My room because I can go there and be by myself when I want to be.  My writing abilities  because I want to write a book one day, and I think I can do it.  **Long pause**  Food because I know that there are people who don't have it as good as we do so I'm thankful that we get to eat.   And....do I have to say my family?

Me - No.  I want you to say what you are thankful for.  Whatever pops in to your head.

Peanut -   **Long Pause**  Well, I am thankful for my family because they are all quirky and not normal, and I don't like to be normal.

Butter - **Long Pause**  What do you mean things we are thankful for?

Me - Well, it's things or people that you are thankful to have in your lives.  Like, if I were answering the question I'd say stuff like I'm thankful for my kids because they are sweet, kind, and loving.  I'm thankful for your daddy because he works hard to provide for his family.  I'm thankful to have a job doing what I love because I get to help kids, and having a job helps provide for my family.  You know...stuff like that.

Butter - Urm.  Well, I'm thankful for my family because they helped me get through all of my problems.  My friends because they help me with my school work and helped me get settled in to my new school.  I'm thankful for toys because they help keep me busy when I'm bored.  My PSP for the same reason, it helps keep me busy when I'm bored.  I don't know what else.  What else should I say?

Me - If that's all you can think of, that's fine.  Remember I want you to answer the questions with whatever pops in to your heads.

Butter - Is there something else I should be thankful for, though?  I mean, should I talk about people not having a place to live or food or stuff.

Me - No.  Not if that's not something you're thinking about.  You don't have to say what you think people want you to say, remember?

Butter - OK.  Then I guess nothing else.

Jelly has had enough by this point and decided she's not answering any more questions.

6.  Last question.  Are you excited for the holidays and why?

Peanut - I am because everyone gets all cheery and excited.  We have more family time watching movies and stuff.  Plus, we do cool holiday stuff at school.

Butter - Yes because it's time to spend with the family and cause it's a fun time and stuff.

Me - *Blank stare*

Peanut - What?

Me - Really?  That's why you're excited for the holidays?

Peanut - I guess so.  I mean, that's what the holidays are about, right?

Me - Yes, but is that what you guys are really looking forward to?  That's the stuff that makes you excited that Christmas is coming?

Butter - Well, Christmas is a time for family.

Me - That's true, but you don't have to say that just because that's what you've seen everywhere.   What about being excited about presents, decorations, food?

Peanut - Oh, well...I am excited about that... but I thought I should say stuff about spending time with the family.

Butter - Me too.

Me - *Sigh*

Do you see what I mean with that last question?  Weird, isn't it?

Oh well...there's another edition of PBJ Time.  I've told the kids that next week, they are going to get to interview me.  They are going to come up with 5 questions each by next Sunday...by themselves...and we'll see what they come up with.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!!

Till next time. ;)

Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!