Thursday, November 03, 2011

New Month, New Mantra


A new month is upon us...which means one very important thing for me:  Time to come up with a new Monthly Mantra.

Let's face it, I haven't exactly taken many of my mantras to heart... but this month?  I think that might change just a little.

In previous months, I've declared balance, perseverance, and commitment.  Yet, in reality I've strewn away from those very things.  The intentions are in my mind, but the follow through definitely needs some work...that's fo'sure!!

So, this month, I decided to take a different approach.  I've declared that I'm starting over...once again, for the 3 millionth time...yet...it's more than that.  I'm not just starting over - I'm REJUVENATING!!

Definition of Rejuvenate:

a : to make young or youthful again : give new vigor to  
b : to restore to an original or new state <rejuvenate old cars>

OK, so I'm not trying to swim in the fountain of youth...but I am on a journey to restore to an original or new state... you know, like an old car.  I've got some major dings and dents on this body of mine that needs some major rejuvenating....so it seems fitting that I dedicate this month to rejuvenating myself.

Last year, in the midst of my most successful weight loss stint to date - I was a completely different person.  I did things I never thought I'd ever do - like complete a 9 week boot-camp course, run a couple of 5Ks for charity,  I graced a public gym with my presence and didn't feel embarrassed by it, and managed to drop from a size 24-26 to a size 16.  I was a warrior.  It was part of my normal routine to run at the track at least 3 times a week, I ate planned healthy meals every day.  I was committed - and nothing or no one could stand in my way.

This year?  Well, that has been a different story.  OK, so I've had some major bumps in my life.  Finishing school was something I longed for - but once it happened, I was all out of whack.  My schedule - the one I had grown to love and be used to - was forever messed up.  Then came the job hunt...the miserable, depressing search for my dream job.  My son having to be admitted in to a psychiatric hospital for the past two months has really put a strain on my stress situation.  All of these things packaged up together...that's just the recipe I needed for disaster - and it was the fast track to putting me back to gaining weight, and being sedentary again.

I'm not proud to admit it, but since March of this year - I've gained 20lbs.  That may not sound like a big gain over 7 months... but being that I lost 80lbs in 10 months last year....well, you can imagine that it's a very big deal to me.  If I had stayed the course I was on...I'd be happily sitting here weighing in the 100's somewhere - and sharing my journey from a much different perspective.

But, that didn't happen.  I can continue to dwell in the funk of failing that has become my life....or I can push myself back to the warrior I was last year.  Thus, brings me back to this month's mantra.  It's definitely time to REJUVENATE.

So, this month there will be baby steps...a full fledged start over. 

I began my journey...back when I weighed 297lbs...walking 15 minutes a day, and utilizing portion control.  That was it.  No fancy gyms or equipment, no special diet plans, no personal trainers or boot camp classes.  Those things came later - when I was more comfortable with my routine, and the amount of weight I was losing.

It didn't take long before my 15 minute walk turned in to jogging for a few minutes, then jogging a mile, and then finding the ability to sprint a 1/4 mile, and then ending with running a full 5K.  Thankfully, I don't have to start at the 15 minute walk stage....I haven't gotten that bad, yet.  However, there's no running a 5K for me anytime soon.  That's what happens when you don't work out for a while - or 6 months - your body loses it's strength.

I will get it back.

Once I rejuvenate and put myself back to restoring the body I had...I can then move on to the body I want.

Have a wonderful Thursday, everyone.

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket


Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree to your monthly Mantram! I'll adopt it and everytime I look myselg in the mirror I'll solemnly state: Rejuvenate! :P Huge Hug my dear! XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!