Friday, May 11, 2012

I'm a Child of the 80's





Dear Diary...

Today is another one of those fun days where I get to dress up and be all silly.  It's 80's Day.  A day where I can reminisce about Hammer pants, Neon, acid wash jeans, fingerless gloves, and Madonna.  And have every kid look at me and wonder what the heck I'm talking about.

I was born in 1982, so technically I don't remember too much about the 80's.  I was only 8 when the decade ended.  I do remember that at a ripe old age of 8 I LOVED Madonna, I owned a pair of Neon L.A.Gear decked out with 4 Neon colored shoe laces, and I wore puffy, leg warmer looking socks with everything. 

The pictures I have of myself before that time, I was always in some frilly neckline dress, plaid in color or velvet. Apparently, my mother had no sense of fashion in the early 80s.

Getting a chance to dress up like this is fun.  I would show you a picture of what I look like - but I haven't completed the ensemble just yet.  I still have hair and make-up to do...and anyone who lived through the 80s knows that the hair and make-up is just as important as the clothes I'm wearing. 

Trying to find something to wear wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  Then, I realized that the "trends" of today are very similar to the 80s.  Peanut is always wearing leggings under shorts, and she covers her arm in rubber bracelets.  She begged for me to make her a pair of fingerless gloves in the winter, and I just wished her bright pink and white high tops fit me.

I own a fluffy little skirt that I've never really found an occasion appropriate enough to wear.  It's a little on the short side... but with some leggings under it.. BAM - I'm going Madonna-ish.  I, then, found a shirt at Wal-Mart on clearance that has a wide V-neck.  Perfect for the off the shoulder look that was so big back in the 80s.  It's even a aqua green color.  I'm wearing a black tank-top under it.  I also found a pair of red sunglasses - that were really expensive, but marked down to $2.  I can see when I wear them, so I think they might be some form of reading sunglasses.  I'm borrowing Peanut's fingerless gloves and rubber bracelets...and I'm wearing a scarf in my hair tied in a bow.  Child of the 80s.  Now, if I only still owned my neon L.A. Gear.. I'd be all set.  I promise to take a picture when I'm all done and post it tomorrow.

Today is also, if you recall, the day of my interview.  Don't worry, I'm not going in my 80s garb...as amusing as that would be.  I'm taking my interview clothes to work with me - and hope that I can give myself a quick back to this time period make-over before it's time to go. 

I have the flitter flutter of butterflies in my stomach, but not near as bad as they were last week when I did the group interview thing.  I'm excited and hopeful.  My good buddy Jenn reminded me that I might as well get excited and hopeful, because not doing that wouldn't calm the blow that might come if I don't get the job..as much as I was trying to convince myself that it would.  I'm still in that sense of feeling that this week has all been part of a major plan for my life.. and this job could be what I've been waiting for all of this time.  I just hope and pray that I don't have to wait too long for an answer... this weekend is going to be bad enough, but waiting much longer is going to be excruciating. 

I bought a yearbook yesterday and I'm having all of my students sign it.  The official yearbook signing party is today - but I'll be heading out to my interview when that's going on, so I had to get a little head start.  I found myself getting a little choked up when a few asked me if I'd be working there next year.  I told them that I didn't know and that I was trying to get a teaching job in another school.  To hear their pleas for me not to leave was a swift reminder to me that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  If I can be as tough as I am, and still have students that really like me - I'm doing something right. 

The funniest part came when the 5th graders - who are moving on to middle school next year - begged me not to leave.  Urm..they're leaving so it won't make much difference to them.  But the thoughts and gestures were so sweet.  I really am going to miss them. A lot.

As I go out today with the thought that today could be the day where my life completely changes...my life long dream may come true...I can also carry with me the fact that I have a great bunch of kiddos to work with next year if things just don't pan out the way I hope today.  The only reason I teach is for the kids.  So, regardless if I'm teaching next year in my own classroom, or I'm working with kids from all the different classes I work in now.. I'm still doing what I love to do each and every day. 

And for those of you who insist that I stay on topic of weight loss - One thing I do know for sure... I won't be the same person come August.  On the outside, anyway.  I'm gonna make some serious changes this summer... I'm finally going to take the horse by the reins and shed some serious pounds.  So whether I start off the next school year in completely new surroundings or I'm back where I am now... it will be a different year for me next year.

I was a child of the 80's.  I was a teen of the 90's.  I was a struggling young adult during the 00's.  But this decade?  I'm a teacher.


Till next time. ;)
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy 80's day!!! Can't wait to see the pic.

    Best of luck on your interview!! My fingers are crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see that pic. My sister looks like she came from the 80s sometimes too, even though she wasn't born until the 90s.

    "But this decade? I'm a teacher." LOVE!! And how sweet are the kids you work with!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!