Thursday, May 24, 2012

Meet Katniss...

It's been an exciting week...but also a busy one. Finally getting a job is a dream come true - but being that I'm going to be working in a different state means there's lot of leg work to do before I'm licensed to teach in that state.

My first step was filling out the application online and paying $50. Then, I found out I had to take an hour and half drive to Joplin, MO to do my background check. I decided to do that yesterday.

I hauled all six children over to my house and then took the drive by myself. It was a nice, relaxing drive. After spending the past week taking care of my own three children and three additional children - the break was well needed.

It took a whopping six minutes to do my fingerprinting. Three hour total drive for six minutes. But, it was worth it - it will all be worth it. And then I came home and was immediately greeted by arguing and fighting....ah, gotta love my life!

I have to interject here and say that it is a little ironic. I love children - I'm a teacher, for crying out loud. BUT, my preferred grades are 3rd and 4th...around the ages of 8 or 9. Anything below 3rd grade and there's a lot of tattling...the younger the kids get the worse the tattling. There's also arguing, fighting, "don't touch me" or "leave my toys alone, their MINE!". Once you go over 4th grade, the drama sets in. Boys, annoying brothers, annoying sisters, girls that don't want to hang out with younger brothers. Yeah, that's my life right now. I'm with three kids all under the age of 5 and three kids all over the age of 10. There are no in-between...the ages I love. I guess I'll have plenty of time for those kids when I start work.

Anywho, after my long day of driving and then coming home to whining and arguing, I thought it was time to go out for a little celebratory dinner. Of course, when I'm feeding 8 people - fancy is out. So, we settled for Zaxby's. The kids ate on one side of the restaurant, and Hubby and I ate on the other. We could at least enjoy a few minutes of peace and quiet. We ate, and discussed how when my parent's get back from their vacation - they owe me a weekend that's kid free so that Hubby and I can really celebrate.

While I was eating, I saw that across the street in the Wal-Mart parking lot, there were some people with puppies. I thought how nice it would be to have another puppy...although Hubby would be adamantly against it. He really hates my dog as it is. But, after the eating was over and the kids were all buckled safely in to their seats, I drove across the street....just for a look.

The puppies were pitbulls. Not that I have anything against pitbulls, but that's not what I was wanting. And then there was a guy giving away free kittens. My first reaction was ABSOLUTELY NOT. I have allergies to certain cats...a kitten was the last thing I needed. And then I saw that cute ball of fur you see at the top of the page. She was all by herself. I picked her up - and BAM I was in love.. I knew she would be going home with me.

Hubby watched the kids while I ran in to Wal-Mart to get a few basics to get me started... litter tray, food tray, food, and home we came. I've decided to name her Katniss - from The Hunger Games. The name fits - as she's a spunky little thing, but also very loving. This is us not long after getting home yesterday...

She was passed out across my belly.

I set her up in my parent's bedroom for the night. I spent some time showing her where the food bowl and litter tray were. When it was time for bed, I noticed that she curled herself up in my t-shirt that I'd put on the floor when I got my pj's on. It was hard leaving her in the bathroom all night - but the last thing I need is her having an "accident" on my parent's bed.

I checked on her during the night, and she was curled up fast asleep in my clothes. So adorable!!

This morning, I found her eating. AND she'd used the litter tray a few times during the night. How smart she is...especially being that she's only about 6 weeks old. Since I woke up this morning, I've been playing with her on the bed. She's playful - but not aggressive. She's bitten my fingers a few times, but not hard. I think she's a wonderful addition to my family - and a great celebratory gift to myself.

Now, I have to get back to taking care of six kids...

Till next time.

4 comments:

  1. Katniss is so dang cute. I wish I wasn't allergic (err, to all kitties, not just Katniss).
    congrats on the job stuff. Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm allergic to some cats...but I'm doing OK with her so far.

      Delete
  2. Awwwww! Congrats on Katniss!! Will you be calling her Katnip?? hehe

    Btw, what book are you on now? I'm on book #3. Almost done with it and depressed already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I'm still on book 2...haven't read much in the past couple of weeks - finishing the series is on the top of my to-do list once I go home. :)

      Delete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!