Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The One I've Been Waiting My Whole Life For

I've thought about this blog post for a few years now. I'll even admit that I've wrote it a few times...but then deleted it out of anger or because I felt having it already written was somehow jinxing me.

But now that the day is here, I'm actually struggling with words. Maybe because I'm so overwhelmed with emotion, that the words are having a hard time coming out the way I want them to.

So, I guess I could just get to the point. Blurt it out. Yesterday, I heard the words I've been longing to hear "We'd like to offer you a job". The words. Words that made me tear up instantly, and then cry like a baby right there in front of my future bosses. I didn't care - they were happy tears...and they were tears that showed my new employers how grateful I was, and how much their offer meant to me.

Now that I've said it - let's rewind a little...so I can share how it all happened.

I drove to my interview, listening to music and trying with all my might not to worry. I got there and sat in the front office for a while. I heard someone else that was getting interviewed was getting a tour of the school - that automatically gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. Was it normal for interviewees to get a tour? Oh well, no time to worry...it was my turn.

I was taken back to a conference room where I was introduced to the principal of the upper elementary, the principal of the lower elementary, the assistant principal of the upper elementary, the superintendent, and a 4th grade teacher. They were all very nice and warm with their introductions..and that really helped put me at ease. The upper elementary principal explained that she had a 4th grade opening in her building, and the other principal had some positions available at her school.

I started off with telling them about me - the same words I've told to many principals. The upper principal then told me a little about the area, the schools, and the students that made up the school. And then it began.

I took a deep breath, told myself to just be myself, and then started answering questions.

As the questions came, I was ready. I don't know how, but I didn't have to think I just answered. I joked. I showed a little sarcasm...that's who I am, after all. The committee laughed with me, they complemented me, they told me they could feel and really believe my passion with every word I said. I took that as a good sign. Then it was my turn to ask questions...before I could really think about it, I blurted out "How long will you make me wait? Waiting is so hard". They all laughed again, and the principal told me that they'd be making their decisions very soon. Then, the superintendent looked me right in the eyes and said "I have no doubt that you will have a job with us, I just have to figure out the best place to put you". And that's when the first set of tears pricked my eyes.

Before I had a chance to register everything, the 4th grade teacher asked me if I'd like a tour of the school - apparently it was customary to show all applicants around. We walked down a few hallways and then the principal of the upper elementary appeared. She looked at me and said "I can't let you out of here without offering you the job. I want to hire you. Would you like the 4th grade position?"

I felt my knees crumble, and my eyes sting. I did probably the most unprofessional thing I could do - I grabbed her and hugged her. She was caught a little off guard and she said "Well, I'll take that as a yes?" I laughed. She laughed. And then she started crying...and so did the other 4th grade teacher...and so did the superintendent who had joined us in the hallway. All four of us standing there boo-hooing.

Then came the other words I've waited so long to hear "Would you like to see your classroom?" I couldn't speak, I could only nod my head furiously. And so I went and saw MY classroom. The classroom I will teach and nurture and love a group of 4th grade children. The classroom I will decorate, and fill with all of the stuff I've collected over the past five years. MY CLASSROOM.

I have a lot of work to get done before I'm "officially" hired. I have to get my AR teaching license transferred over to a MO teaching license. That requires fingerprinting, a background check, mailing in lots of documents to the Department of MO Education. All easy stuff - just stuff that takes a while. I should have my contract ready to go by the end of June... but I was given the OK to share my news with the world, and that's exactly what I did..am doing.

I can't even describe the feeling of relief I have right now. If you've been reading my blog for a while - you'll know how badly I've wanted this day to come. I just can't believe it's actually happened. Deep down, I doubted. I never expected an offer to come so abruptly - that's for sure.

Now that I really think about it, though, the plan has started to make sense. I performed my student teaching in a school that serves higher incomed kids. When I got the job I did this past year, I was a little upset... but it opened my eyes to the joy and gratification of working with a different set of kids. Kids that didn't come from much, but they had a true love of learning, they appreciated everything given to them, they wanted a better lives for themselves. I feel in love with those kids - I knew my calling. I was supposed to work with these kids.

Then, I get a call from a school that has a HUGE population of low-income, diverse students. My year working in the school I was in gave me an upper hand - I had experience doing that. Not only did I have experience, but the people interviewing me knew how much I wanted to work with these kids. One stop led to the next which led to the next. It was the plan. The plan I've doubted many times - but just like it always does, showed its self to me. I can't think of a better way to prove my favorite thought: Everything happens for a reason.

Well, now I have my reason. I have my job. My life-long dream has finally come true. I couldn't be more happy...and now, well, it's time to get back to losing weight. Right?

Till next time. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Fan-bloody-tastic! congratulations, I love (and laughed at) the thought of you all standing there crying. You have certainly found your place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried, too, when I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!

    :) :) :) :) :) :)

    :) :) :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo happy for you. Congratulations. passionate teachers are rare and you are a treasure. Go make a positive impact on the young minds. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Joanna...I know you are going to be a great 4th grade teacher and the kids are going to love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in tears too Joanna. A thousand congrats!!! I am so happy that your life long dream has finally come to fruition. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting here crying my eyes out! SO SO SO happy for you! Those kids are so lucky to have an amazing teacher come their way in September! *does happy dance* such fab news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS! I know you've been waiting a long time to hear the magical words :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS!!! Such a relief... I know, I am being laid off Jul2 and need to secure my next position asap. Good luck. You deserve it so happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanna, I actually searched to find this post, so I could see what grade you are teaching. Congratulations! Grade four is supposed to be a fun year to teach. You are going to be so amazing because you have such passion.

    I have an interview to teach grade six this year, so I will be scouring your blog to see what lessons you come up with. (hint, hint.)

    I wish you all the best on your first day.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!