Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 31: Ode to Thee, H2O!!

Before getting on the Weight Loss Wagon, I never really was a water drinker. I still don't drink as much as I should - but I get pretty darn close. Even though I've been told time and time again how important water is when trying to lose weight, I never really understood all of the benefits I got out of drinking so much of it.

So, today, I dedicate this blog to the gloriousness of good, plain (and not so plain) water.

Almost all doctors, nutritionists, weight loss counselors, and trainers recommend that everyone should try to consume AT LEAST 6-8 cups of water every day. Most people know that our body is made up of mostly water, and without it our bodies dehydrate and that is very bad. But, let's be honest - it's not the most exciting drink to pour into our bodies glass after glass. Every time I've dieted, the one thing that I've never stuck to is drinking as much water as I should. That changed when I started my challenge, and I've discovered some other benefits that are probably not unique - but they help motivate me to open yet another bottle of the glorious H2O.

Sweat - It Does A Body Good!:
Before I began drinking gallons of water every day (I exagerate, just a little), I noticed that when I worked out - I just didn't sweat that much. For as big as I am, walking across my house would make a few beads of sweat form on my brow, but when I would work out - I barely broke any kind of sweat. I got really frustrated when this happened. To me, sweating and exercising go hand in hand - it shows that I'm getting my heart rate up and working the flab. When you push your body for a good workout, and barely get any form of sweat - something's not right. I really had no idea that I just wasn't drinking enough water. My doctor told me that if I was going to exercise, I really had to up the water intake. So, when I started my challenge, and started drinking 4-6 20oz bottles of water a day - the sweat started POURING. I mean that, too. Now, when I'm done walking on my treadmill - it looks like I just got out of the shower.

I'm Always Hungry When I'm Dieting:
My biggest challenge with weight loss and eating less is that I always felt hungry. The small portions of food I was eating just didn't satisfy me enough. When the challenge started, I spent the first 4 days doing nothing but drinking water, juice, and eating water based veggies. I should of been STARVING - but I wasn't. It was so weird that I was eating no more than 300 calories for 4 days, but I never once felt really hungry. Of course, you know why - because of how much water I was drinking. When I started eating properly again, I started drinking a glass of water before each meal - and I'm so surprised at how satisfying my very small portions now are. I make sure I always take a bottle of water with me, everywhere I go, so I stay good and full at all times. It really helps when facing temptations at places like convinient stores, get togethers, etc.

What Smooth Skin and Pretty Nails You Have:
I've always been very lucky when it comes to things like acne or dry skin. However, I do have oily skin, and seem to have my share of black and white heads (ewww!!). I also enjoy growing my nails, but as soon as they would hit the top of my fingers - they'd break so easily. Well, no more nasty skin or brittle nails!! WOO HOO!! Now that my body is more hydrated on a daily basis than it's probably ever been, my skin isn't as oily, my black/white heads are non-existant, and my nails are long and barely break!! Could it be that water intake can be the cause of it?? ABSOLUTELY!! Keeping your water intake up where it should helps clear your system. Remember that sweat I was talking about?? Well, it's not just good at proving to a fat ass that she did some exercise, it also cleans out the pores. Dirt gets into those pesky pores deep - and soap and water can't get it all out. Well, sweat pushes the dirt out - and wall ah!! Clear pores!! The nails I just put down to my body getting much healthier - not just by water, but due to the fact that I'm not constantly poisoninging my body with the unhealthy crap anymore, and so all parts of my body are showing signs of being more healthy. :)

Water Tastes Gross!!
Hmmm...I've never been able to define what water tastes like, cause to me, it has no taste. I'm amazed at how many people have said to me that they hate the taste of water, and just can't force themselves to drink it. My hubby was one of those people. He drank soda like it was going out of fashion. He would down a 12 pack of pop almost EVERY DAY!! (and of course he's skinny -makes me sick!!) Anywho - even before I started my challenge, he was looking for alternatives to drink - cause supporting his soda habit was getting way too much for us. He picked up a couple of boxes of Crystal Lite - and he was totally blown away by how good they were. He now drinks flavored water a lot more than soda. There are tons of flavored water options that are still calorie free. I drink flavored water when I'm in the mood for a soda, and even use flavored water on occasion to satisfy a sweet tooth. There are so many options nowadays, it's really hard for someone to say that they just don't like any of it. They even make energy options now so you can still get your caffeine fix from a bottle of water...great, huh?? LOL

It really is amazing the effects water has on us. It's the cheapest drink out there, the most beneficial, yet so many people can't stand it. If you live in an area where your tap water tastes like ass, then buy a filter. They're not that expensive, and the taste really does improve. Now, I'm going to get on my little "save the earth" soapbox for a second and say, if at all possible, avoid buying plastic bottles of water. The occasional bottle here and there is fine, but it's so much better to buy a reusuable bottle. I have a couple of them, so I can keep an extra in the fridge and rotate them out. Now, I'm weird when it comes to drinking water. I find that I drink water much easier out of a plastic bottle - I shouldn't say easier, but I drink more water when I'm drinking out of a plastic bottle. I have no idea why, I just do. So, I keep a couple of plastic bottles and reuse them. It's not good to use them too many times - but using 2 a week is much better than going through cases of them a week.

Ok, so hopefully you are all now grabbing a big glass of water and chug-a-lugging. If not, WHY??? ;) Seriously, try out some of the stuff above - I tell you all the truth, you just have to see for yourself.

Till next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!