Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gazing into My Crystal Ball

Thursday, I wrote a post about my short term goals.  I promised that I would write a post about my long term goals...so that's what I'm going to do, sort of.

Writing a list of things I would like to accomplish in 2011 was pretty easy.  I know how much weight I want to lose, I know how far I want to run.  Trying to think of things I want to do over the next 5 years (the amount of time I consider to be "long term") was not as easy.

Making long term goals is like asking a fortune teller to look into her magic crystal ball.  Trying to imagine what my life will be like, and what I'll be doing, five years from now is no easy task.

There are several things that I would like to have in the next five years:  Getting a teaching job, getting a new house...wish list type stuff. 

Then there's things I'd like to accomplish:  Running a 1/2 marathon, running a full marathon, becoming a motivational speaker to those trying to lose weight, maybe becoming a yoga instructor.

These are goals that I have more control over. 

I can do a lot of things to try and get a teaching job - but at the end of the day, I won't be the one making the decision on whether or not I'm worthy of a job offer.

Without a teaching job, I can kiss the desire to buying a new house goodbye.  No job = no financial stability for a new mortgage.

I do, however, have the power to make running marathons, being a motivational speaker, and becoming a yoga instructor a reality.  I have to commit, put in the training, and WA LA... I will accomplish those goals.  No one, but myself, can take those things away.

I know, I know...there's always the possibility that something bad could happen that could make those dreams crumble before my eyes - but come on, people, I'm not about to start letting negative thoughts seep in to my brain!!

So, I decided I'm not going to set my 5 year plan in stone - like I did with my short term goals.  I just made a list.  I decided to put a year that I'd like to achieve those things, and not worry about the "what ifs".  The list looks like this:

Get a teaching job:  2011 (yes, it's this year...but it also starts the momentum for other long term goals)
Run a 1/2 marathon:  2012
Run a full marathon:  2013
Take a trip to England:  2013
Become a motivational speaker:  2013/2014
Become a yoga instructor: 2013/2014

Complete my Master's Degree:  2014
Buy a new house: 2015/2016
Finish writing my book:  2016

So, as you can see, getting my teaching job will have an impact on several of those goals.  Can't go to England or think about getting my Master's Degree without a job to pay for it....nevermind buying a new house.

Running the marathons will depend on my success this year.  If I don't succeed with my weight loss goals this year - well, nevermind...that's not an option.  I WILL succeed with those.

Becoming a motivational speaker and yoga instructor are new...something I've never really thought about before making the list the other night.  All the talk about "paying it forward" has been on my mind - and I was trying to think of ways I could do that.  How about sharing my story with others?  How about helping people find the beauty and power in yoga?  Yep - that's a good start.

Did you all notice the last one?  "Finish writing my book"  Yeah, that's been a work in progress for about 2 years.  I've always loved to write - and my life has quite a story attached to it.  I'm writing a biography, but in a fictional story kinda way.  It's hard to explain - but I started doing it two years ago, and have looked at it maybe twice in the past year.  It's going to be finished one day....looks like someday in 2016.  I would like it to be before then, but who knows.

Alright, enough gabbing already, I have a big test I'm taking today - and I better get a move on.  It's a test for my teaching license..YIKES!  Think of me today, will ya??

When you think about long term goals, does it scare you?
Are you more of a "I'll see what happens when it happens" kind of person?
What are some of the big things you'd like to accomplish in the next five years?

Till next time.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. those are great goals. 1/2 marathon is definitely on my list as well! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I "had" to do yesterday for the Dr. Oz Move It and Lose It program was to ask WHY I joined the program -- and then ask why again -- and again -- and again -- to drill down until I'd reach the core. And I think that's kind of like a long-term goal, although there was no date attached to it. I do have a date for the weight loss I want to accomplish, and that was assigned by the Dr. Oz program -- so that it's realistic and healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!