Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting Creative and Productive

Thanks to my dear friend, Mother Nature, I have yet another snow day.  If that sounds sarcastic- it's not meant to be...I am happy...VERY HAPPY!!

Like I rambled explained yesterday, snow days are a great opportunity for me to get caught up on things...work, homework, writing...things that I can never really find time to do when life is flowing at a usual pace.

I find, however, that my urge to sit on the couch and do nothing on a snow day is still in me.  Yesterday, I did indeed get some homework done and I spent some time working on my book.  Then I made my way to the couch to watch a movie - and that was it....except to get up to cook dinner...I remained lazy for the rest of the day.  That means, no, I did not try out my Zumba game.

In my defense, Hubby did a great job of taking over the PS3 most of the day playing with his "friends".  It kept him out of my hair, but it stopped me from doing the one thing that was on the top of my to-do list for yesterday.  I spent the majority of the day sitting right here at my computer - minus the movie and dinner.

This morning, when I got up, I made a deal with myself that I was going to make today a productive day.  No, I can't go out for my scheduled run - because I will NOT run in snow - but that doesn't mean I can't find ways to move. 

Productive can be defined many ways.  Yesterday was productive - I got the planned computer work done - but today's productive has a different meaning.  To accomplish a productive day today, I have to clean my house, burn some calories, and not spend the day on my comfortable rear end.

Cleaning is a great way to move and burn some extra calories.  Deep cleaning has even more benefits.  By deep cleaning, I mean clearing out junk that has piled up (weight work), scrubbing floors (cardio), vacuuming ALL rooms - not just the living room (cardio), and cleaning my room...that seems to have become that storage room for anything we don't have room to store in the rest of the house (weight work and cardio).  I had thought about steam cleaning the carpets - but that's kind of pointless when snow is getting tracked in to the house.  Also, it's time to clean off the work-out equipment that is stored in the back half of my living room.

Last year, MY office was MY room.  It was MY work space and MY work-out space.  I had my home gym, treadmill, and weights in here with me...and they were used.  Then Hubby decided he wanted to share MY office with me - so the work-out equipment had to go.  We have an over sized living room, so we decided to use the back half (previously his office) as the home gym.  That was a great idea.  I could see the TV while working out...that's a plus, right?  The work-out equipment made it to that part of the room....but so did a bunch of other stuff that pushed my gym equipment into a corner....where I couldn't use it.

That has been where the hundreds of dollars of equipment has sat since last October...collecting dust and doubling as a clothing rack and toy storage.  I'm tired of it.  On days like today, I should be able to do my run on the treadmill, or maybe do some weight work....can't do that if I can't use the equipment.  So, by the end of the day - come Hell or high water - I WILL have my gym cleared out so that it can be used.

So, that's my plan for today.... time to get my rear out of the chair and keep moving (I've been going at it for a while now, this was a little break).  I don't want to lose my momentum.

What are you guys up to today???

Till next time.  ;)

4 comments:

  1. I took today off (no daycare kids!) and although we had another snow day as well, I took my two kids to grandma's house so I could go to the gynecologist. Jealous, aren't you? Since I had fasted all morning (my appt was at 11 and I didn't get out of there until about 12:30, I was really hungry and tempted to get fast food. But I went to the supermarket instead and got some surprisingly tasty watermelon and then got a sandwich from Subway. I was pretty proud of that.

    I hope you got your home gym lined out!!

    Colleen
    Goodbye, Fat Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it go? I wish I had room for home equipment. I don't live far from the gym, but some days I just don't make it and it would be nice to have something here to use. I hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna, in your last few comments on my blog I didn't recognize you!! You're looking amazing!

    I am getting an elliptical when our tax money comes it - and putting it smack dab in the middle of the living room!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi - I posted about how it went today...not like I planned, but it got done..LOL

    SuperMom - thank you!! That's so kind of you.

    So jealous about the elliptical - I want one!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!