Saturday, January 08, 2011

Oh Run, How I Have Missed Thee

Well, I did it.  Finally, after a week of being sick, having something always coming up, I finally pushed myself to ignore any distractions and go for a run.

I felt so proud walking out into the parking lot in my running pants and running jacket - I didn't care that the jacket was skin tight and a size too small... 

I didn't care that the road and park where lined with cars filled with people watching me and getting a good show as they waited to pick up their middle school children...

I didn't even care that when I ran, I could feel my belly and butt jiggling - telling me that the pants were a little too tight (for what I was doing) and that everyone watching were probably chuckling at the sight of me...

I didn't care!

All I felt was the cold rush across my face. 

All I could hear was the voice and music in my ear telling me when to run, when to walk, and keeping my pace to the music.

I could have ran past a mugging in progress - and I wouldn't have noticed.

I did the week one podcast for 5K 101.  It consists of a 5 minute warm-up brisk walk and then four intervals of running for 2 mins and brisk walking for 3 minutes.  Through the warm-up walk I couldn't stop thinking if I was going to be able to run for 2 mins.  It's been a LONG time since I've done any running.  What if I could barely make it 30 seconds? 

Then there was the voice "OK, ready to start running?  Let's do it!"  Off I went.  I just did a soft, jog pace.  1 minute mark:  Hmmm...feeling pretty good.  Then it was over - the first two minutes of running were over. 

I wasn't dying. 
I wasn't trying to catch my breath. 
It didn't take me three minutes to recover - I was back to my regular breathing within a minute and a half. 

Next run interval, I decided to pick up the pace - just a little.  Got through that one, and the next, and the next.  When it was time for the cool down walk I was still feeling strong, powerful!!

Yes, I got through the 30 minutes with no problems.  I logged 1.2 miles on my running log.  The pace was very slow - that's because I was walking 70% of the time - but I did it.

This morning, I feel great.  I'm not sore.  I know that I could have run more - should have really, but I wanted to try the program and I did.  I now know that I will get through the first week of training easily, and will be ready to up my running time the following week - just like I'm supposed to. 

I'm going again, tomorrow.  I'm going to wake up early and hopefully beat the snow that's supposed to be coming in.  It will be cold, yes, but it should just push me to work harder to keep myself warm. 

In 10 short weeks, I will be running a full 5K - no walking, no "wogging" (combo jog/walk), I WILL BE RUNNING!

Till next time.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!