Saturday, October 16, 2010

Share it Saturday - Starting Out Simple

OK, so in all honesty, I bought a product last week to try out for this post...but it's still in the box, unopened.  Can't really review a product that I haven't used - so I guess I'm just going to have to hold off and review it next week.

So, today, I'm going to talk about a product that has become a staple in my home - don't know what we'd do without it.  The best part is, you don't need a specific brand - they're available at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target...any department store, probably.  This product makes cooking delicious, healthy meals a snap when living with a crazy, busy schedule.  What is it?  It's my slow-cooker/ crock-pot.

I call it a slow-cooker, others call it a crock-pot - whatever you call it...it's AMAZING!!  There's nothing like being able to throw all of your ingredients into one place, leave it cooking all day, and have a great meal waiting for you when you get home. 

When I started teaching, the job of "dinner" was assigned to Hubby.  There were nights that I wouldn't get home until after 5 - and that's no time to start cooking a meal...I wanted to eat when I got home.  Well, he didn't feel like running around and cooking dinner, either, so he decided that it was time to break out the slow-cooker and see what he could come up with.

We've had our slow-cooker for a few years, but we only ever used it for things like stew, pot-roast, soups...stuff like that.  Then, we realized that you can cook just about everything in that thing.  The food cooks without having to add any fat or oil, the flavors are all kept in the pot - and the end result is delicious!!  During the warm months, there's no added heat given off a slow-cooker, so the house doesn't get too hot.  Now that the cooler weather is coming - the soups, stews, and pot-roast are all coming into the dinner line-up and making cool nights into warm, relaxing nights.

So, if you're struggling for a way to cook healthy meals, but have no time to do it - break out the slow-cooker.  Get creative.  Add some meat, some veggies, and experiment with spices and flavorings....you might be really amazed at what you can come up with.  If you're not really the "experimenting" type - there are tons of slow-cooker cook books available at pretty much any bookstore - and if you shop at Borders or Barnes & Noble, they always have the cook books on sale.  If you have a great slow-cooker recipe you'd like to share - please do, by posting a comment. 

That's it for today in regards to my first "product review".  Not what I had planned, but just means it's time to break out my product for next week - and actually start using it!!

PNOTD:
"There's nothing wrong with finding things that make life easier.  An easier life is a less stressful life."
Till next time.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!