Saturday, October 23, 2010

TGITW - Thank Goodness it's the Weekend!!!

The weekend is here - so much to do, so little time.  Of course, that's my life every day - always so much to do but not enough time to get it all done.

I used to be the worst procrastinator - always putting everything off until the last minute, and then busting my behind to get it done.  I was lucky, because I never had to learn my lesson about being a procrastinator.  During my first three years of college, I don't ever remember doing a single assignment in advance.  I would wait until the night before, then pound away at my keyboard to get my papers, projects, and other miscellaneous assignments pumped out.  I always seemed to do pretty well - and never did I receive a bad grade because of it. 

I remember my freshman year during English Comp I.  I had to write a paper for my midterm.  My classmates panicked, stressed, and worked on their midterms for days and days.  I didn't even crack my book until the day before it was due.  I sat at my computer for a little over an hour - and I was done.  One of my classmates laughed at me, and told me how sorry I would be.  Of course, I should mention how much my professor had gone on and on about not procrastinating - he expected us to draft, revise, edit and then type up the final product - a product that would take at least a week.  I turned my paper in the next day - and two days later, I received my grade: 95%.  The laughing classmate received a 87%...and she had done exactly what she was supposed to and had spent about 5 days working on it.  What can I say, I was blessed with the gift of B.S. HA!

Alas, my procrastination days are over.  Not by choice, by necessity.  I no longer have the pleasure of waiting until the night before to knock out a paper.  I'm now in a situation where I have to spend almost every night pounding away right here at the computer - or nothing will ever get done.  There's always lesson plans to write, reflections, papers for class - not to mention the curriculum unit I'm designing that's due in about 7 weeks that requires so many parts that it will take 7 weeks to put it all together.  This is now the reason I get so excited about weekends.  Most people celebrate the coming of the weekend as their days to relax - I celebrate the coming of the weekend because it means I get two whole days to sit in front of my computer and try to get caught up on some work.

Of course, the work never gets caught up.  I just get less behind.  I'm happy with that.  I think all of my classmates and I are happy if we're not drowning - we just want to have our heads above water.  Although, we never really get two whole days to work - weekends mean other stuff we have to do.  This weekend, for example, I'm going to a baby shower and Prairie Dawn has been invited to a birthday party.  Then I have to factor in grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning house - things that have to be done on the weekend, cause they sure aren't going to get done during the week.  Ah, all work and no pay....and no, I didn't misspell that - the life of a student teacher.

If you have the pleasure of getting to relax this weekend, do some for me - will ya?  If not, know that there's someone else in your shoes. 

PNOTD:
"All work and no play may be a hard concept to grasp now - but it won't be long before the motto becomes 'all work and great pay'.  Not necessarily money - but the hard work will pay off."
Till next time.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. The gift of BS is pretty much the only thing you need to get by in college, interestingly. lol I DO NOT miss all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you love what you're doing ... right????

    ~Sheilah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do Sheilah. It's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!