Friday, June 04, 2010

The Food Recording Book

So, everyone that has read my blog for a while knows how much I despise keeping a log of all the food that I eat.  When life is stressful enough with family, work, school, working out, etc. the last thing I want to do is take time out of my busy day to sit in front of a food journal and log everything I eat - and I mean everything - and then count how many grams of carbs, protein, and fat I'm eating.  Despite my despise, it's something I have to do for the next six weeks of bootcamp.

Bootcamp isn't just about working out, it's about getting healthy.  That wouldn't be complete without nutritional counseling.  Unfortunately, we don't get that part until tonight.  On Wednesday, we were all given a log book that we have to write down EVERYTHING that we put into our mouths and then count how many grams of carbs, protein, and fat that is in all of the food and drinks.  The only guidance we were given on Wednesday was that we have to eat 6 times a day and drink 100ozs of water each day.  That wasn't a real problem for me, because I have been doing that for a very long time - so I'm in the routine.  The part that sits uneasy with me is if am I eating the amounts I'm supposed to be?

Here's my log from yesterday:

Meal 1:  2 slices of 45 calorie toast, 2 tbsp sugar free peach butter, 8ozs of 1% milk, 3 cups of coffee  Total Carbs:  38g  Total Protein:  13g  Total Fat:  3.5g

Meal 2:  90 calorie granola bar, 24ozs water
Total Carbs:  19g  Total Protein:  1g  Total Fat:  2g

Meal 3:  Turkey & Cheese sandwich (on 2 slices whole wheat), 24ozs water
Total Carbs:  37g  Total Protein:  25g  Total Fat:  9g

Meal 4:  Large apple, 24ozs water
Total Carbs:  17g  Total Protein:  0  Total Fat:  0

Meal 5:  Ft. long low fat ham sub from Subway, 24ozs water
Total Carbs:  96g  Total Protein: 37g  Total Fat:  17.5g

Meal 6:  8ozs 1% milk, 2 Weight Watchers chocolate chip cookies
Total Carbs:  26.9g  Total Protein:  8.9g  Total Fat:  4.5g

Grand Total Carbs:  250.9g
Grand Total Protein:  84.9g
Grand Total Fat:  36.5g
Grand Total Water:  96ozs (very close!!)

When I saw those total numbers, I was a little freaked out.  That looks like A LOT! So, I decided to check out a website that I love, but haven't used in a while http://www.sparkpeople.com/  The site is a free dieting website that offers recommended daily counts based on your weight.  You can log how much you eat and track if you're within your limits.  For my weight, the site states that my daily goal for carbs is 163 - 236g, protein is 60-127g, and fat is 32-56g.  So, I actually was in my goal range for everything but my carbs.

Now, I guess tonight will tell if the website is accurate about those ranges or not.  I will say, it was weird not counting calories.  The one thing the bootcamp instructor pressed on us was to NOT count calories, but instead make healthy food choices and only count protein and carbs.  I would hope that being my carbs, protein, and fats were within range (somewhat) with what my recommendations are, that my calories would be about the same. 

So, today's blog is not a recommendation for the "book" - you all know how I feel about that.  It's just simply an update on what I have to do for bootcamp.  I am curious about the counting protein, carbs, and fat vs. counting calories.  I guess time will tell on that one. 

I'm all ready for Round 2 tonight - and I'm not going to make the mistake of showing up not fully hydrated and without eating prior to.  I'm sore this morning, something I wasn't yesterday.  It's weird how exercise can have a delayed reaction on your body - but I love the phrase "no pain, no gain" so hopefully the pain is a great sign that something is already working.

Till next time.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!