Friday, June 18, 2010

It's Official!!

I'm officially signed up for the 5K Cancer Challenge that is taking place next Saturday morning.  Can't think of a better way to celebrate my "kid free" weekend than with a great charitable run. 

If you remember, my first 5K wasn't exactly what I planned.  I had a messed up knee, it poured down rain, and I finished the race in a miserable 48 minutes.  I really kind of gave up on working out and running for several weeks after - until I started bootcamp.

Now, I feel stronger than ever.  My running still hasn't gotten to where I like it, but I'm hoping that the strength and endurance that I'm getting through bootcamp will help me through next week's race.  My ultimate goal is to finish in less than 35 minutes - but I will be OVER JOYED if I finish in less than 40.  Shaving 8 minutes off my time will be a big accomplishment.  I'm still not up to being able to run for a long amount of time - I'm capping at about 3 minutes per interval, but my time having to walk is decreasing.  At bootcamp Monday night, I was able to run for 3 minutes with a 1 minute walk interval inbetween for 30 minutes.  There were several times that I was running for longer than 3 minutes - by the constant battering of "don't you stop running!!! Keep moving!!" from a certain drill instructor.  Maybe I should record him telling me that and play it in my iPhone as I'm running??? That could be a great way to get through it...LOL

Last night, I managed to get in a good workout.  I worked on the weights for about 30 minutes - focusing on my arms, chest, and back.  Then I did a little while on the treadmill.  I'm going to try and do the same tomorrow and Sunday - and work out Tuesday.  I need one rest day, so I guess that will be next Thursday - cause bootcamp the night before the race is surely going to have a nice impact on me.  I might surprise myself in the morning and actually head to the track.  I so prefer running outside to my wobbly treadmill - plus it's a great stress reliever for me.  It would mean having to get up at about 6:30 again in the morning, but I've done it all week - one more day isn't going to kill me. 

To add an extra bonus - I'm thinking about taking a couple of yoga classes and/or spin classes next week.  A perk of bootcamp is that I get to attend classes FREE!!  One of my BC instructors teaches yoga and spin.  She wants me to give the spin class a chance...I'm a little nervous, but I might as well take advantage of anything I can get.  The yoga classes are at 5:10 in the morning!! That wouldn't be so bad, but having bootcamp the same nights would mean up at 4am, yoga, home, sleep -or I'll be totally wiped out by the time BC started. 

Well, there's my rambling for today.  It's my last day of summer school today - and I'm super excited about that.  Now I can devote more time to planning out some good blog posts.  :)  Oh, and one last side note - I cheated this morning, and stepped on the scale.  It said 223lbs!!  Could it be that the weight is now starting to disappear??  That would be nice...guess we'll have to wait and see what the official results are next Wednesday - but that's a step in the right direction.  It puts me at the official 40lbs of weight loss since January 17th.  It took a lot longer than I had planned - but it's there.  Here's to the next 40lbs (hopefully a lot quicker than the first).

Till next time.  ;)

P.S.  I started a fundraiser page to try and raise some extra money for the Cancer challenge.  If you have a couple of dollars to spare - I would really appreciate you helping me reach my goal.  :)

Joanna's Cancer Challenge Fundraiser Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!