Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Did the Obstacle Course How Fast??

Last night, bootcamp gave me another one of those "I am Woman" moments.  We found out when we first got there that we would be doing a timed run through the obstacle course.  We've ran the obstacle course several times since starting bootcamp last week, but we've always done it after an ass kicking work-out - so I was always exhausted while trying to get over the obstacles.

Last night, we got the chance to do the course as fast as possible without already being exhausted.  We got into our formations, and went in groups of 3.  My group was the second to last group to go.  I got on the starting line, listened for the signal, and off I went.  I sprinted to the starting line and started jumping through the tires.  Got into the 3rd tire, and BAM!! I went down.  I guess I was going a little too fast..LOL  I got back up, and took off again.  I flew up the rope ladder, came back down the other side, flipped my legs over 5 hurdles, jumped over the sandbags, and held on at the monkey bars for 7 seconds (cause I still haven't grasped those yet).  It was then on to going over and under 5 more hurdles.  I climbed over the 10ft straight wall, hit the ground and army crawled my ass off....then came the 5ft wall.  I'm almost to the point where I could get over it, but it didn't happen - so I took my 3 second penalty and took off the the zig-zag balance beams.  I jumped off those and ran as fast as I could to the finish line.  My heart was pounding, my legs were screaming, but I ran!!  I crossed the finish line and heard "2 minutes 39 seconds".  I looked around thinking surely they were talking to someone else - but nope, I had completed the course in a little over 2 1/2 minutes.  I was sooooo happy!!!

Shortly after letting my victory set in, I noticed that one of the recruits that had started with me was having a really hard time getting through the course.  This woman started bootcamp on Wednesday.  She is a larger woman, and reminded me very much of how I looked this time last year.  I was so amazed that she was willing to give bootcamp a try.  When I saw her struggling, I knew what I had to do.  I went back to where she was and started cheering for her.  I was with her every step of the way - and it blew my mind to watch this woman get over the obstacles that I struggle with.  When it came to the army crawl, she zipped through that sucker like she was on a slip and slide.  I could see the exhaustion in her face and so I just had to help.  I helped her across the zig-zag bars, and then ran with her to the finish line.  She didn't say "I can't" once...she did it!!  Tears welled in my eyes as this woman crossed the finish line.  Unfortunately, the fear that she accounted while doing the course set in - and it caused her to get very dizzy and had to be taken in side for some medical treatment.

After seeing this woman, the motivation level in me shot through the roof.  I was so proud of her, and knew that I had to step in and do what I could to help her achieve her goals.  After bootcamp was over, I got to spend some time with her and her kids.  We discussed my weight loss journey, and I told her I wanted to help her do what I did.  I gave her my number and thus our friendship has now begun.  My goal not only includes continuing my journey, but now includes helping this woman achieve hers. 



Till next time.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!