Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Third Time's A Charm?


Since August, I've participated in two Biggest Loser competitions hosted by the elementary school I'm currently interning in.  Since August, I haven't come close to actually winning either of them.

Today, a new round of Biggest Loser starts - and this time, it's a "couples" match.  My mentor and I have decided that we are going to be a "couple" and work together to compete.

Now, I'm going to admit - I'm nervous. 

I'm not nervous about having a partner.  Nope, having a partner will help me stay accountable and probably make me work harder.  It's the fact that I've already tried this competition twice - and failed both times.  The competition has been mine to win twice...and I have let myself down twice.

I'm starting to think that by competing in the Biggest Loser competition somehow jinxes me - to failure.  Could it be possible that now I get to compete with a partner -and split any potential winnings - that I could actually win?

I guess we're going to find out.

In other news - after school yesterday, I attended my first Running Club meeting.  My school has started a K-4th grade running club, and I volunteered to be a running coach.

Yes, I love to run.  Anyone that reads this blog knows that.  Running with a group of K-4th graders?  Well, let's just say - I have my work cut out for me.  Not in the fact that I have to help out kids - that's not the problem at all.  It's the fact that these kids can run circles around me - and it took everything I had to keep up with them.

I have to admit that I felt a little silly running with them yesterday afternoon.  Here I have been telling my students that I have been running for a while - and that I'm training to run a 5K - and they are trying to keep me motivated to run faster and keep up with them.  **INSERT EYE ROLL**

It also occurred to me, however, that maybe this is exactly what I need to up my intensity of the training.  I want to up my pace - so pushing myself to try and keep up with them may be the motivation I need to do just that. 

When I got in to the gym, the kids were being separated into grade levels.  I went immediately to the 2nd grade line.  I could have picked any grade I want - but in all honesty, I miss those 2nd graders so much...this is a great opportunity to spend a little time with them each Monday afternoon.  There were several kindergarten kiddos joining in - but there were also several volunteers working with the kindergarten group (including the principle).  Two 2nd graders from my old class showed up - and I was happy about that - but it was nice to hang out with all of the 2nd graders that were participating.

So, now with the introduction of running club - I won't be attending my scheduled gym work-outs on Monday evenings.  No biggie - after last night, I'm sure that I'll be getting a good work-out in on Monday afternoons.

In more running related news - I want to send a big THANK YOU out to Val who made a donation to my RFTC fundraiser yesterday.  Val, please email me your mailing address so that I can get you a Susan G. Komen wristband sent out. 

I am now only $20 away from reaching my fundraising goal.  I am so happy about that.  I still have a month to go before the race.  I still have plenty of wristbands to give away *hint, hint*.

OK, time to get ready for work.  This morning will be my first weigh-in for Biggest Loser Round 3.  I know that this morning when I stepped on my scale, I wasn't thrilled with the number - once again.  I put that down to my uphill climb on my work-out roller coaster.  I'm not too concerned with starting out this competition with a little bit of a higher number - because that helps increase the amount that I will lose in the coming weeks.... but it doesn't help the fact that I'm weighing in tomorrow for the Spring in 2 Action challenge.  Guess we'll have to see how that goes.

Everyone have a great day!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!