Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The New Job

Today, I start day 3 of my new job....and it just dawned on me that I haven't really mentioned the new job - except for when I found out that I got it.

Is that weird?

I mean, I whined and cried for MONTHS about not finding a job I was truly happy about...and then I get one...and then don't even talk that much about it.

Maybe it was because I was so caught up in the excitement and being in a good mood (for a change) that I just rambled on about random things that popped in to my head....and was so caught up in the giddyness that the job slipped my mind.

Maybe it was because I needed a couple of days to really figure out what I was doing - and to soak in the new information and expectations.  Yep...that's it.  I needed time to gather information so that I could tell you all about it.

So, for all of you wanting to know exactly what it is that I'm now doing....

My official title is Title 1 Instructional Assistant.

Yep, it's a teaching assistant job.  I'm OK with that.  If you'd asked me three months ago if I'd be OK with a teaching assistant job, I probably would have said no... but now I'm more than OK with it.  I'm working in the schools, I'm teaching kids.  That's what I asked for, and that's what I've got.  How could I not be happy with that?

The Title 1 part means that my salary is paid by a federal grant.  My job is to help students that are having a few struggles with their school work, or are just a little behind the expectations of the grade level. 

I've been assigned to grades 3-5.  I work with 6 different teachers.  I either work with small groups of kiddos, or I help certain kids one on one.  At this point, I'm mostly helping with reading - but there will be times that I help in other areas.....wherever or however a kid is struggling, I get to help them.  How freakin' cool is that?

My whole motivation for getting in to the field of education was to help students reach goals, find value in their education, and help them succeed.  I want them to have big dreams and hopes for the future and to believe that with some hard work and dedication - anything is possible.

This job has handed me that opportunity.

It may not be on a large scale that comes with having my own classroom, and my own 25 students, but it comes all the same.  Maybe even a little more so for the kids that I'm helping.  Knowing that I'm there to help them individually, to give them some extra support.....they know it, and they appreciate it.

I will openly say that I've won the lottery in terms of the principle, assistant principle and all of the other faculty and staff I'm working with.  They have all been so welcoming and amazing at helping me find my bearings and making sure I'm getting comfortable.

The teachers I work with know that I'm also a certified teacher, and they respect that.  They are excited that I'm getting to work with them and for them.  Even after only two days, they're asking for my opinions and allowing me some "wiggle room" on how I help the kids. 

The first two days flew by so fast, my head was still spinning when I got in my car to drive home.  Not spinning in a "Oh Em Gee, my head is killing me" way.  It's more of a "Oh Em Gee, where the heck did the day go?  I had so much fun, and fill like I was only there an hour". 

Some people may say it's too early for me to make assumptions about the job...but I'm ready to make assumptions.  I think I can openly make the assumption that I'm going to love this job.  I'm going to love working at the school.  I'm going to love the people I'm working with.  I'm also going to go out on a limb and assume that this year is going to fly by - and it's going to be May again before I even know it.

You remember me saying a while back that everything happens for a reason, and then it takes a while to realize how the reasons impact your life?

Well, like I just said - three months ago, I probably wouldn't have been OK accepting an assistant position.  I was still riding the ego trip that told me I should have my own classroom.  The classroom never came.  Then the offer from Head Start came.

None of it made sense to me.  Why didn't I get my classroom?  I knew that deep down, I was not going to be happy at Head Start.  I took the job because it's all that was available - and then worried that I was going to be miserable for the next 9 months.

The truth is, I had to experience all of it.  I had to go through the let down of realizing the classroom wasn't coming this year.  I had to accept the position at Head Start.  I had to worry about my happiness, and be stressed and all that.  I had to so that when this opportunity came - I would snatch it up with open arms and embrace it.

This was the reason I went through so much heartache all summer.  It was so I would be ready to smack my ego to the curb, and get the position that granted all of my wishes - even if the wishes didn't come in the wrapping I expected.  Working with kids?  Check!  Working in an elementary school? Check!! Working with a fantastic group of people?  Double check!  It's an even bigger bonus that my bestie, Hope, is a 4th grade teacher there.  She's mentioned in the sidebar.

Just like everyone assured me it would - everything fell into place.

I now have more hope that my own classroom is in the making.... but this job is going to give me some FANTASTIC experience.  I have a chance to test the waters, work on a smaller scale, take smaller steps to achieving my goals.  Most importantly, I get the chance to help children....boost their confidence, help them succeed, and assure them that their dreams are possible.

I will remember this feeling for the rest of my life.  Every time I doubt, every time I stress.... I will look to my living proof.  If for some reason I forget - you guys point me right back here, m'kay?

Things have a way of working themselves out.  Even though it's uncertain why you're being led down a certain path...keep walking it.  Don't turn back.  The path may be covered in booby traps and crossroads and rickety old bridges - but you have to keep traveling it.  It's the only way you can truly discover the glory that's waiting for you once you reach your destination.

I'm only half way to my final destination point - but I've already cleared through the hard part.  I'm now in a beautiful landscape of opportunity....and will keep traveling with an open mind and boosted spirits.

Yeah - I made that nugget of pure motivational genius up.  I'm pretty sure I might even see that quoted on Facebook or Twitter one day.  It's so true though....and I'm glad that I got the chance to say it.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! All of it! It sounds like a wonderful place to work and you are already rockin' it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your enthusiasm. I just know the kids are picking up on it, too. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The job sounds great and think of the experience and inside scoop on openings you'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that things are working out for you. And it's a good reminder for me as well. I've been overwhelmed this summer..

    things will get better...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!